40| For Life

"I'll be back. Yes, I saw him." Sanjay looks at Rehan as he walks up to him.

"Dude, you were half an hour late. I thought you totally forgot I was coming." Rehan hugs Sanjay patting on his back.

"I had some things to do. Come on." Sanjay helps Rehan to keep his luggages inside the car.

Once they are done, they both get inside the car and Sanjay drives off.

"I heard that Shardul got in fight with some of those morons." Rehan asks inquiring about a fight his friends had with their juniors.

"Yeah. He was fine." Sanjay replies as he ruffles his hair. He looks straight down the road and doesn't spare Rehan a glance. He couldn't face Rehan.

"So how was the wedding? Was it—" Rehan stops  when he notices Sanjay take a different route. "Where are we going? Whatever you have to do, do it after dropping me. I want to go home, badly."

Sanjay looks at Rehan for a brief second and parks the car on the side of the road. He takes a deep breath and says. "I'm going to tell you something. It's bad. But we'll come through it."

Rehan frowns. "You're scaring me. Oh no, please don't plan a prank on me. I'm in no mood."

"There was an accident. At home." Sanjay begins. "Tara and Aadhya were alone. I was supposed to be there, I'm sorry I couldn't."

Rehan smiles. "That's..." He coughs. "That's okay. I'm glad they're fine."

"They're not fine." Sanjay's raucous voice fills the car. His eyes softens looking at Rehan. "Rehan, I know... I know this is terrifying but they're being under care and we're hoping for the best. You've to be there for everyone, for Aadhya."

Rehan nods. "The babies?"

"They'll be fine." Sanjay clears his throat restarting the car. Rehan looks out of the car during the ride to the hospital.

He wants to ask more but he didn't want to hear any bad news. He knows he isn't ready for anything.

He has been to his parents' hospital many times but as he walks inside with Sanjay, for the first time he feels lost. He follows Sanjay's footsteps and his eyes can see that Sanjay's talking but his brain didn't register anything.

"They're still in the surgery." Anvi stops when she notices Rehan. "Rehan." She acknowledges him with a nod.

Rehan looked at everyone sitting in the hall of hospital. There was Aadhya's parent's, her Daadi, brother and wife, Anvi, Ved and Rahul.

Aadhya's mother, Devki, was wiping every tear that's coming out of her eyes, but it was not stopping. Her father was pacing down the hall, not ready to believe everything that was happening around him.

His family had still the wedding dress on, they look all exhausted but he couldn't find his Chacha or Chachi or his sisters.

"Sit" Sanjay pushed Rehan to one of the seats. Away from the family.

"I want to see Aadhya. I want to make sure she's okay. She. Our babies. My life!" Rehan exclaimed trying to stand up.

"Yes, yes. You will. But you'll listen to m--"

Rehan shook his head. "I--- I can't breathe Sanjay."

"You can. Take a deep breath. Do it. And breath out. Do" Sanjay looked at Rehan, he didn't know where he's getting the courage to hold Rehan. He can't even possibly imagine what Rehan must be feeling, but he knew he can't let Rehan lose.

Closing his eyes and taking deep breaths Rehan looked at the O.R.. His vision was blurred with tears. He covered his face and looked down.

"I'd went back to take my phone. Aadhya and Tara was alone. I came back with Jiya and Rhea. We three were--" Sanjay leaned his head back. "She fell from the sky. Tara. That's what I thought. There was blood. All over. All over. We were frozen"