Chapter 2

~Saturday~

I'm sitting up in my dorm room and decide to call Chris and set up a time to meet him and Zoey again. 

"Hey, so I just checked my schedule and it looks like I have Wednesday afternoon free, I can come by anytime and don't feel like you have to pay me anything. Truth is I love Zoey, actually... she kinds reminds me of a dog I used to have growing up."

"Really? Alright, yeah I can make that work. Why don't you come by at 4:15 if that works and I'll take you out to dinner after?"

"Hmm, are you asking me out?"

"What if I was?"

"I just met you Thursday..."

"Okay, call it your payment then if you can actually bond us."

"Talking about me and you or you and the dog?"

"Uh, me and Zoey..."

"Oh okay, alrighty then... well I'll see, I don't even know if I'll be hungry afterwards."

"You do this kind of thing often then?"

"Yeah, sorta. I worked at an animal shelter in high school."

"Oh, wow that's really cool. Uh, just outta curiosity, how old are you?"

"I'm 19, how old are you?"

"Just turned 23 last month."

"Oh, well happy late birthday then."

"Thanks... well, I've gotta get back. See you Wednesday."

"Yeah, you too... oh and tell Zoey to expect me, k?"

"Yeah, I will. Have a good night Faith."

"Thanks, you too... bye."

Did he just try to subtly ask me out? Wow, was  I definitely not expecting that... it's not like I didn't find him unattractive or anything when we first met. It's just I don't need any distractions, but why am I even stressing? It's probably not what he meant... but what if it was? 

***

~Fort Valley Georgia ROTC Military Base at 4:00 pm on Wednesday~

When I arrive I get out of my car and start looking around the area. But I can't admire the beautiful scenery for very long because I'm immediately startled when suddenly another soldier that I don't know approaches me, very apparently wary of me. 

"Who are you?" he asks with a certain sense of uncertain authority clouding his voice. 

"Um, I'm Faith... who are you?" I stumble over my words and ask without thinking, again. 

Alpha males frighten me I guess, if anything's for sure they are so intimidating to me. Makes me wonder if they all act this way around newcomers.

"Obviously not someone you should be speaking to." he relaxes a little before tensing his muscles and raising his head before asking, "you know how to drop?"