Chapter 28 - She's Gone!

I drive directly to Georgia's work, but when I get there, all the lights are off, and the door is locked. There's a note on the front door. It reads:

This office is temporarily closed. Please call 888-555-1212 for further assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Shit! What the fuck is this about? I fish my phone out of my pocket and dial the number. It rings, and then a recording picks up. It's Georgia's voice. "Hello, you have reached the office of Laurel Staffing Solutions. Sorry, we are unavailable to take your call. Please leave your name and number after the beep, and we will return your call as soon as possible. Have a wonderful day." She says. Then I wait for the beep. "Georgia, it's John Luke. I'm here at your office, and it's closed. Call me back, please."

Next, I call her personal phone; it goes straight to a recording. "Sorry, but this voicemail box is full. Please try your call again later."

What in the actual fuck?! I'm going back to her apartment, fuck this! I leave and drive by her place. I see her SUV in the parking lot, so I go up to the door and knock. I wait a minute, but there's no answer. I try to ring the doorbell and wait, but she never comes. Shit! Where are you, baby?

Reluctantly, I get in my truck and drive back to my parent's house. When I pull up and get out of the truck, Scarlett runs out to me. "Hey, Daddy. Is Momma comin?"

I pick her up. "No, baby, Daddy couldn't find Momma. I will find her, though."

I carry her inside, and Mom is sitting on the sofa. She looks up at me, dropping her magazine on the coffee table. "So, did you talk to her?"

"No, I couldn't find her," I grumble.

"What the hell do you mean you couldn't find her? Is she not at work?"

"No, it's locked up, and there's a sign that says Temporarily Closed. I called the number on the sign and left a message. I called her personal phone, and the voicemail box is full. I even stopped by her place, her SUV is parked in the parking lot, but she isn't there. I don't know what the fuck to do."

"Shit! John Luke, I have to call Mariah."

"Okay, call her and see if she's heard from her," I respond.

Mom grabs her phone off the coffee table and calls Mariah. "Hey, Colie... yeah, we have Scarlett...Have you heard from Georgia?... No, we haven't either....John Luke is looking for her....I know it's closed.....he told me.....yeah....I don't know; I'm worried too.....John Luke saw her yesterday, and she gave him a suspicious note...yep, come over....okay, bye." she says before she disconnects the call.

"Oh, my God! Mariah hasn't heard anything from her either. She has called, left her messages, and saw the sign on the door where she works too. I'm worried, buddy. She's on her way over here now." Mom says.

I nervously begin pacing the floor. Scarlett looks up at me. "Daddy, did Momma marry Mitch?"

"I don't know, baby. I hope not."

I sit down on the sofa with my head in my hands. "Mom, I bought an engagement ring on the way home. I was going to propose to her when I got back from Jacksonville. I love her so much; this is killing me. If she marries him, I might just lose it." I choke out with tears streaming down my cheeks.

She walks over and rubs my back. "Oh my God, buddy. I don't know what is going on. This isn't like Georgia. She'd never do this to her family. Scarlett hasn't spent one night away from Georgia since she was born."

"I just have a terrible feeling something has happened to her, and I feel helpless," I say as Mom sits down to try to comfort me.

A few minutes later, Mariah shows up, and Scarlett runs to her. "Hey, baby girl. Mimi is here." She says as she picks her up. "Where is my daughter, guys? I feel helpless. She won't return my calls. This is not like her." She sobs as she embraces Scarlett.