Part 19

The next day was Sunday – basically the end of our short weekend as well as the time to put my plan into action. Adele left the house at 11:30 to meet up with Jas, who was gonna train her at the convenience store. Mom and Dad left at exactly 2:15, leaving Mom's car behind. I texted Derrick and he showed up ten minutes later in a hat and dark shades. I had my hair up in a bun and one of Adele's huge pair of sunglasses on.

Both in our disguises outside in the gloomy weather, I handed Derrick the keys to Mom's dark grey 2013 Nissan Sentra and we climbed into the car. As the garage came into our view minutes later, I told Derrick to pull up by the sidewalk. I looked around, noticing that there were surprisingly no cars in sight. The garage door was open though and had people working inside. Derrick took his seatbelt off. "You ready to go in?"

"Um, hold on," I hesitated. "Let me see if Wess is available."

Derrick looked at me. "Uh, okay."

I got out of the car and slowly walked into the garage, being greeted by noise – not as much as the last time I had come by though. I walked past working young men, looking for Wess. A tall light skinned guy with waves looked at me as he wiped his hand with a navy blue cloth. "S'cuse me, ma'am?"

I stopped walking. "Uh, yes?"

He leaned forward. "Can I help you?"

"Um," I looked around. "I'm looking for Wess!" I shouted slightly over the noise.

"Oh, he's not workin' today. He gets Sundays off."

"Oh. Uh, where can I find him?"

The guy raised his eyebrow. "At his crib probably."

I chuckled nervously. "Ha! Right. Um... where is that?"

The guy narrowed his eyes at me suspiciously. "Who are you?"

I had to think quickly. "Uh, I'm Susan. A friend of his. I know him through, uh, Kenny. I came by to talk to him the other day actually."

"Oh, yeah. I saw you here. How you know Kenny?"

"He's my boyfriend."

The guy seemed surprised. "Oh shit. Is that right?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

He looked around. "Uh, come here for a minute." He led me to the office that Wess had brought me to the last time, and closed the door. He went over and leaned against the big desk in the little room while I stood by the door. He crossed his arms over his chest. "So you're the girl Kenny met at that school huh?"

I frowned. "Kenny talked about us? How well do you know him?"

"Kenny's the homie around here. The whole community knows him. His love life's the biggest mystery though. Most of us know he got a girl but, damn. None of us woulda ever been able to guess it was you. He keeps things like that on the down low."

I nodded. "Ah." Sounded just like Kenny.

The guy stared at me. "So, whatchu want wit' Wess?"

I stared back. Was this really any of his business? I thought of a reasonable lie though, just to make things simple. "Uh, I got to visit Kenny in jail and um, he wanted me to talk to Wess."

The guy nodded. "Ah, I see." He straightened up a little. "A'ight, I'll give you his address." I nodded. "How's Kenny holdin' up?"

"He's alright," I said.

"I know it be tough in there."

"Yeah," I answered. I honestly just wanted to get to Wess' place.