Chapter 11: Waw - First Impressions

Michelle had risen early so she could workout and sing with her sister while Sarah received her daily blessings from Branchala. She always felt so close to her sister during these times. Sometimes they would sing together, other times Sarah would be singing and Michelle dancing or doing her acrobatics, but she always felt at peace as she admired the natural beauty of sunrise over the forest. Even the birds were singing their joy at the start of a new day, and Michelle felt alive and ready for whatever the day might bring. Even if that included Skull knights and half-ogre sorcerers.

She went back into camp, knowing that today there would be no bath. No spells to be spared for such frivolity when they might be facing two armed incursions before the day was out. Michelle noticed that Fandy was staring at the bodies of the ogres – they hadn't really had a time to bury them in snow or leaves even. Michelle detoured over toward the Aghar who was paying particular scrutiny to the ogre barbarian. Michelle wrinkled her nose – their odor was particularly foul when alive, and now they were starting to decompose, they were practically unbearable.

"Fandy – we got their gear already.. just what are you doing over here?"

"Fandy think we need to move faster next time these critters attack." Fandy nodded her head as if settling it, her expression quite solemn.

"I think that would help a lot.. are you saying you have a trick to help with that?"

Fandy reached over with her little hand and patted Michelle on her leg. "Fandy know Michelle getting hurt by these big fights. Clan use many resources and have nowhere to trade to re-supply. Fandy work hard on this. She got it straight now. You see. Next time we fight, Fandy show Michelle how this work."

Michelle blinked and then nodded. She slipped away to see about breakfast and discovered that Talitha had prepared some venison bacon for this morning's repast. Michelle settled in with the plate and gave Talitha a grateful smile. "Fandy's going to make us all much faster for the next fight. Just in case you were wondering."

Talitha grinned and then said, "Don't count her out so easily, Michelle. That's the most remarkable Aghar I've ever come across, and I've seen a number of them in my time."

Michelle shrugged and went over to fix herself a tankard of mead that was being warmed over the fire. "From what the new guys were telling us last night, we should get into the Waw region shortly after midday. I'm going to scout ahead with Daniel, Dominic, and Fandy when we get close. I want you and Steven to keep things sensible until we return. You think you can keep your hands off him long enough to manage that?" Michelle's tone was teasing.

"I don't know, I mean he is pretty irresistible. You might find things a bit chaotic when you get back."

Michelle laughed, shaking her head. "Talitha, mostly I need you to play peace-keeper between him and Lady Gilleana. They've been getting into things a bit lately. The Akroatis was even suggesting he be re-assigned the last time I heard from him. Right now, Lady Gilleana's good opinion of the Legion is more important than cell cohesiveness, but don't tell anyone I said so." Michelle glanced around, confirming for herself that Talitha and she were the only ones in the eating section of the camp.

"You know that the Weya-Lu don't feel particularly friendly toward the Elven people right now, right?"

"Yeah, I know, but Steven has to put that aside. I thought he was dealing with it okay, and having you around has certainly helped out a lot, though that's probably not good for other reasons.." Michelle's voice trailed away, an impish grin displacing her thoughts from her lips for now.

Talitha glanced over from where she was cooking, one hand landing on a hip. "Don't you tell me to lay off the flirting, Michelle Lorax. I've served with you long enough to know better." She gestured with the cooking spatula to emphasize her point. "Or do you need me to enumerate for you? I could start with Bircham, if you'd like?"