53. Nothing Is Impossible

-Chase-

-Chase-

It was scary to watch Dante be under the spell of Mjyrna. He had never learned how to use it safely and putting him to search for his sire – one of his worst memories – was dangerous as hell. But again, we had to do it. As long as we couldn't contact Donovan, we had to use every option we had, and we didn't have any.

But my baby was strong. I watched with pride as he learned how to deal with the ring with such ease.

"Most people can't stay focused like you did," I praised Dante once Aaliyah had left us alone so Dante could recover from his ordeal.

"I stayed focused? Please, I was failing really bad," he scoffed.

"I'm serious. It requires a lot of mental strength to control the memories like you did," I told him.

He was silent for a moment. "Really?"

I nodded.

"Huh..."

"I guess since you've been through so many horrible things, you've grown mentally strong," I said carefully.

"I suppose I've had practice. Especially when I'm battling against the beast. Trying to keep it from attacking you or the others is so goddamn difficult," he said, and sighed.

"What do you mean?" I frowned. "You mean you can still control it?"

"Barely, but I can make it change targets. It wants your heart in particular, so I'm fighting my hardest to get it to attack someone else first."

It was my turn to be silent for a moment. "That's so romantic," I finally said.

He laughed lightly. "Of course you'd see it that way..."

"No, I mean it," I said, moving closer to him on the bed. "Why didn't you tell me you can still control it?"

He shrugged. "It always wins eventually, and I fall unconscious. I thought you knew that – Ben said that will happen."

"That explains why you were strong enough to walk in your memories," I said, and pecked his cheek. "You've had practice."

He nodded slowly, but I could tell his mind was already elsewhere.

"Penny for your thoughts."

"What are we going to do next? I can feel him, but I can't just point out his location on a map or anything," he asked.

"Can you feel which direction we need to take to find him? You should be able to do that."

"I, uh..." He closed his eyes for a moment and then shook his head. "No..."

"We're just too far away from him," I said reassuringly. "I'm sure you can feel his presence better once we get closer."

"But how are we supposed to get closer?" he asked, sounding frustrated.