39. Another Lead

-Dante-

-Dante-

I could feel cool fingers on my forehead. Their touch felt nice and soothing, and for a moment, it was all I could focus on. It was all I wanted to focus on, but my sore body and the pounding headache were quickly gaining my attention.

I opened my eyes with a groan, and the first thing I saw was Chase and his gentle smile. I was swarmed by happy thoughts, but there was something ugly nagging inside me, causing me distress. I had no idea why.

Not until I saw a thick layer of bandages around his arm.

"I transformed..." I breathed out, the sick feeling growing more intense in my stomach.

"It was not your fault," Chase said, peering somewhere behind his shoulder, and I realized I was in the cage, lying on the bed.

"I hurt you," I whispered, touching the bandages.

"Don't you worry about it," Chase said, turning to give me a reassuring smile. "Everything was under control."

I shook my head and looked away from him. "I can't do this..."

"Yes, you can," he said demandingly. "It's only for a little while longer. We have a new lead."

I snapped my head back towards him. "What? How? What is it?" I asked, trying to push myself to sit up, but the headache nearly knocked me out cold.

"Are you in pain?" Chase asked with a worried tone.

"My head..." I groaned, closing my eyes, but that didn't help much.

"I'm afraid the headaches will become normal from now on," Ben's quiet voice sounded behind the partly closed door just before he stepped in, holding a big glass of water in his hand. "Here," he said when he offered me the glass, fishing out a box of painkillers out of his cardigan.

Chase helped me to sit up, and I took the little gift. I was so incredibly weak... "New lead?" I reminded them.

"Frank has a friend..." Chase muttered, looking at Ben again. "He claims he knows what you are."

"Just spit it out."

"Something called a Rassawolf," Chase said. "I don't know if he's right, though."

"Never heard of that," I frowned. "But I'm a werewolf."

"Frank claims you're not," Ben said, leaning against the wall. "What your ex-wife did to you apparently changed you into something different."

"That's... Please explain," I said, the headache only growing worse.

I ate the painkillers like candy while they told me everything Frank had told them. After the third pill, Chase took the box away from me. This new... lead... seemed far-fetched. A secret society? Symbols and strange bodies...? I had no idea what to think.