CHAPTER XXXVIII: THE UNSPOKEN

"FIRE!!!"

"There is a fireeee!"

"Get the buckets. Pour water immediately."

"Put water!"

"Is everyone here???" The priest shouted.

"The kids! Take care of the kids. All men throw water immediately. We should not let the fire spread."

Everything was in chaos when Zeke got there. The orphanage that he sneakily visited was burning in front of his eyes. The place of the children whom he visited to play with was turning into ashes now. Everyone was tremendously putting off the fire by throwing a bucket of water from the well.

He was befuddled in disbelief for a moment. While looking around the place, his eyes caught something, someone. It was a girl who has a lethargic expression while covering her nose and mouth with both her hands at the side of the burning orphanage.

It was none other than Lady Beatrice.

Even the Lady Beatrice was someone whom he doesn't want to see, he immediately approached the girl with worry. "Lady Beatrice, you should not be here."

The girl was astonished seeing him. "Why— why are...why are you here? You are not supposed to be—"

"It is not important right now. You should get away from this place. It's dangerous here!"

He immediately grabbed her hand and took her away from the burning place. Lady Beatrice startlingly took off her hand from him. Zeke was perturbed with the strange act of the lady.

"This place is dangerous. You should get away from—" Zeke was trailed off, when his hand smelled gas.

"Why my hand smelled gas? I haven't had near at the—"

Beatrice held her arms to her chest while trembling. At that moment, she knew that Zeke grasped the truth.

"You? You!?" Zeke did not know what to say, he abruptly turned away from her.

Her body moved hastily to reach the boy walking away from her. She grabbed on his sleeve. "Please listen. I did not think it would be this big. I never wanted to—"

"Let go of me." He shoved away her hand.

"I never thought that you could do this."

"They— They took you away from me! All your attention. I— I just want you to look at me." She sobbingly pleaded.