Love-in-a-Mist

(America POV)

After quickly swinging into the office to bag a couple books, I immediately turned on my heel and walked right out the door. Germany jogged up to my side as I strode down the empty corridor.

"Wait- didn't you say that you are coming back to class just then?" he inquired and I waved him off with a smug grin.

"Oh c'mon. One day of rest won't hurt so I'll start up again tomorrow," I shrugged, "Besides, there's somewhere I need to go."

With a bounce in my step, I suddenly took off in a sprint and left Germany in my dust while giggling like a madman. I dashed up the staircase and zipped through more halls until I made it to the front of an emerald domed building that could easily hold a soccer field. A silver plated sign proudly read, 'World Academy Greenhouse' but I personally like to call it Smaragdus, the Plant-a-Plenty. (picked it up in language arts class)

After removing my jacket, I pushed open the jade green, glass door and stepped into the hot and humid environment. Rays of sunlight gushed through the transparent walls and I smiled as I took a moment to bask in its glorious light.

"How may I help you?" a voice came from behind a counter overflowing with flora. A short girl with leafy green hair, tanned skin and a shiny smile greeted me. She wore a cap and large, brown overalls with a nametag pinned to it. In her hands, she held a potted plant that was at least double her size but she carried it like it was no big deal.

I put down my jacket and told her what I was looking for. She nodded and hopped to the job, pulling me down the rows of different bushes and whatnot. Finally, we stopped at a rack that was covered in multicolored blossoms and I thanked her before she dashed back to the counter.

"Didn't think I'd see you here," someone else chuckled and I turned to see Brazil leaning against a broom. He eyed the flower rack and grinned even wider.

"So who are the flowers for?" he whispered as he waggled his eyebrows teasingly. I nudged him in the arm and rolled my eyes.

"It's not like that," I retorted, "It's more of a formality for a friend."

"Uh huh. And that's why you're blushing."

My eyes widened with confusion and I quickly turned away which made Brazil laugh even louder.

"What?! I'm not- it's just really hot in here!"

Brazil crossed his arms and gave me the, 'uh huh' look but he didn't press me any further. I cleared my throat and desperately looked for a change of subject to buy me some time.

"So what about you? I never took you as a plant person."

He sighed and put the broom down as his gaze wandered to the counter, "Well I'm just here to help a friend. The first time we visited the Academy, she made up her mind that she wanted to work at the greenhouse. It's also the reason I decided to transfer from the South American Branch to the Main Branch; to support her."

I glanced at the beaming girl as she skipped from plant to plant, tending to each one with utmost care. A small smile also began to appear on my face.

"Amazon is her name, was it?" I gestured to her, "She really knows her way around plants huh

"Yeah. She's a hard worker alright."