Chapter 28: To the bridge

"The guy doesn't listen. That's why we're here right now."

Tayce enters the quiet apartment, kicking his shoes from his feet and shedding his coat and jacket. He feels happy, excited and just looking forward to being with Max. Tayce felt Max was a gift. He was his hope for a brighter future. Whereas Frank had kept him in the dark, Max had shown him the light. He was his light, his hope, happiness.

Tayce heads to the kitchen to grab some snacks and a couple of beers and settles down on the couch, flicking through the TV for something to watch, settling on a drama.

He begins to watch, getting caught up on what is on the screen, until he realises Max still hasn't come up. It's probably nothing to worry over, but Tayce keeps on glancing at the door and eventually feels the urge to get up and see where he had got to.

Tayce pulls on his shoes and jacket, not forgetting the panic alarm being slung around his neck and heads down the two flights of stairs of the apartment of the main building. Through the glass, Tayce can still see the motorbike, but what's that on the ground beside it?

Tayce now leaves the apartment block, running towards the vehicle. He looks at the ground to see the metal clamp Max uses to secure his bike, but wait...is that his helmet? Tayce squats down to pick it up and then sees the reddened stain on the ground. He leans in and looks a little closer...no, that...that can't be blood?

Tayce instantly stands up and pulls his phone from his jeans pocket. He calls Max. It rings and rings, with no answer, just going into voicemail.

"Max, where are you, I'm a little worried..."

He looks around him as he speaks. His nerves are getting rather fractious.

His phone suddenly beeps and his mind feels the relief wash over him at the thought that it was Max returning his call, but then he feels the life drain from him when he sees who it actually is...and the attachment...

"Shit, no!" Tayce covers his hand with his mouth in shock at the image. One of Max bound by his hands and feet, laying in what looked like the trunk of Frank's car. Max looks dazed and disorientated and Tayce feels sick. He had brought him into this mess. He has done this.

He nearly drops his phone in shock when his phone suddenly rings.

"Frank, let him go!" Tayce can feel his hand ball into a fist.

He then hears Max's voice in the background and Frank shouting in rage. Then the sound of a slap. Tayce flinches as if it had been his own face which received it. "Frank, where are you?"

"So now you wanna see me?"

Tayce can hear the fake laughter down the phone. Any shred of affection Tayce had for Frank was depleting drastically. He could just about tolerate the abuse but he couldn't bare to see someone else suffer at his hands.

"Such a beautiful view...I remember we had our first kiss here."

His whimsical voice out of place alongside the malicious intent.

"Frank don't you dare do anything stupid! Tayce was already running down the street, away from the apartment. He now knew where he had to go.

"Ahh bless. I didn't know you cared."

Tayce again hears Max's voice in the background, then once again followed by Frank's punishment.

"Max!" Tayce shouts down the phone. "I'm on my way!"

Tayce is now running down the street, trying to call Jerry in the process.

"Hey, sup."

Jerry replies a little sleepy.

"Max....he has Max!" Tayce is so out of breath, his feet now sprinting down the street.

"What? Who, Frank?"

"Yes Frank!...I'm running to yours. I need you to take me to Chelsea bridge!"

"Ok.ok...where are you now?

Tayce quickly looks around. "Halfway between Max's and yours on the high street."

"I'm on my way..."

They both hang up and Tayce keeps on running in the direction of Jerry's place.

A short time passes and Tayce thinks he can see Jerry's kia in the distance. It soon pulls over and Tayce can see Jerry inside. He opens the passenger door, to see Jerry wearing his onesie, with his hair a little worse for wear, looking as concerned as him.

"Thanks." Tayce says, still trying to catch a breath.

"That's ok, but tell me, what's going on?" Jerry asks as he pulls away from the kerb.

"It's Frank. He's kidnapped Max. We all thought he would target me. I didn't see this coming and now...now..." Tayce breaks off from the sentence, not being able to keep it together anymore.

"Hey...it's ok. We'll get there, we'll end this. Max will be ok." Jerry glances over at his friend, resting a reassuring hand on his knee, before returning it to the wheel and putting his foot on the accelerator, just that little bit harder.

Tayce nods, again trying to pull himself together for what felt like the umpteenth time over the past few weeks.

Jerry clears his throat, glancing over at Tayce. "Tayce I think we should call the police."

"No." Tayce almost says in a panic.

"Tayce, Frank has kidnapped someone. That's a crime. Jesus! He's committed crimes against you already. When are you gonna make him pay?" Jerry is now feeling more than frustrated.

"I can't risk him doing something stupid. I can't! Not whilst he has Max...maybe I can negotiate? He might listen to me. If he really loves me, he might just listen."

"Have you heard yourself?" Jerry half laughs. "The guy doesn't listen. That's why we're here right now."

The car goes quiet. Tayce doesn't know what to do for the best. He's now past caring about himself or his happiness. His priority is Max and he would pay whatever price to keep him safe.