32

Isira was already at the empty storeroom by the time Jake and Delphinium arrived, her dark eyes searching the distance

Isira was already at the empty storeroom by the time Jake and Delphinium arrived, her dark eyes searching the distance. They observed her from above, still as twin statues. She didn't appear to be armed as Delphinium checked her pockets for uneven weighting. But Delphinium didn't believe that for a second. She had to be carrying something, especially with the way things had begun to spiral in the last few days.

"Make sure no one accompanied her here," Jake muttered before descending the metal staircase. Isira's head whipped around to behold him. Delphinium stayed out of view.

She slipped away, circling the entire upper level. All she found were packages and more packages. There was nothing interesting inside either, just technological goods to be distributed to Eloch in the morning.

Pressing up against the wall beside the railing, Delphinium overheard Isira saying, "-should be arriving at around five in the morning. Corinthian has thirty-six men slated to guard the prisoners. Orozco will be present to oversee the operation."

"Tell me more of what Corinthian is planning."

"There is no news of him arriving here. At least not until the final delivery. We both know he's a busy man with multiple tasks to juggle. He also still has half of us searching for any trace of you or the assassin." She paused. "Where is Tesla, anyway?"

"Worried minds are the most vulnerable," Jake chided her.

The odd remark seemed to make Isira shake it off. "I'm not worried. Or at least, not as worried as I am of what Corinthian can do."

"Describe to me how preoccupied he is."

"He's trying to get more territory from the Crimsons. You know how obsessive he is about getting everything north of the Shefgan. There have been several spats with casualties on either side, but all occurred near the docks, none in proximity to the warehouse. As usual, he has the advantage and he uses it to push them back little by little."

"He can't expend his full attention here."

"Yes. But he's making the search for you and Tesla his top priority. You embarrassed him greatly. I'd be very careful if I were you."

When Jake gave her nothing more to work with, she added lamely, "If that's everything, I have-"

"It is."

Delphinium heard the shuffle of Jake's backtracking footsteps and peered over the side. Isira seemed to act on instinct. She grabbed his arm. Delphinium's brows raised.

Jake stared at Isira's fingers so coldly she immediately removed them. It was a wonder he hadn't just chopped them off instead. "Sorry," she said, glancing away. But she couldn't hide her pink cheeks. "I just...I had a proposition for you."

Delphinium wasn't sure whether to be disturbed or amused. How crazy did one have to be to find Jake Evans attractive?

Stepping into the light above them, Delphinium shot down, "What is it?"