CHAPTER 19: "Don't involve yourself in this mess"

HAZEL MARTINEZ

Finally I was successful in making my choco-chip cookies, I ran upstairs all excited with a bowl in my hand. As I reached our room, I found Rafael looking outside the window while talking on his phone I made my way towards him and waited for his call to end.

I know I was being too much desperate but I just can't help myself. Someone is finally being nice to me like talking to me like a normal person. This is the first time I have cooked something different for someone, in my old house I used to cook these things only for myself no one ever had them.

So I am really excited for Rafael to have these cookies and praise me.

Of course praise me, I am the best!

"I am done with the cookies!" I announced.

He turned back with his brows furrowed then made his was towards me.

"Taste it." I said all excited extending the bowl towards him.

He looked at the bowl once then back at me unsure of its taste.

"What?" I asked.

"Does it even taste good?"

"How would I know? So to know it you need to have it first." I said with a proud smile on my lips.

"I think you should have it first."

I shook my head and extended the bowl further "You will have it."

He hesitated this time too.

"If you don't have it, I swear I won't talk to you." I warned.

"What? This is blackmailing."

"I am not left with any other option."

He sighed then picked up a cookie from the bowl and took a bite from it. I waited eagerly for his reply. Slowly he took another bite then nodded his head "It's good actually. I have to agree you can cook."

I glared at him "Of course I can cook. Since we married, its me making the breakfast everyday working my ass off."

He chuckled "Woah chill."

I hit his arm.

Suddenly his phone rang again making me roll my eyes, he just smiled that was his reaction to my irritation but when he saw who was calling his smile faded. He picked up the call, while talking he was just staring at me and I was completely clueless about what was happening.

After his call ended Rafael had an unreadable look but this much I can figure out something is not right.

"What happened?" I asked.

He came close to me and kept the bowl that was on my hand on the bedside table then held my hands in his "Something really bad happened." He said.

"What?" I asked again.

He remained quiet like he was struggling to tell me.

"Rafael what happened?"

"Aaron."

"What about him?"

He took a deep breath and paused for a moment then said "Someone killed Aaron."

I tried to process what he just said.

Someone killed Aaron.

"W-What?" I muttered in complete shock pulling my hand out of his hold.

He tried holding my hand again but I pushed him.

"No. I-It's not possible!"

"Hazel."

"W-Why w-would anyone do that?" I said in disbelief "You're lying, right?"