Chapter 26.

For the first time in quite a while, I appreciated the overly-populated area that was Ridgeton; the excess structures, from big to minute, that had graduated into a cluster many years before I was born.

   Ranging from fast food restaurants, convenience stores, clubs, hospitals, bars, motels, coffee shops, ancient books and music stores was the genetic makeup of where I was from.

   And of course, the people. It was obvious that a large fraction of the insufferable number of people in the Classic Suburbs resided in Ridgeton.

   As the bus drove through the district, the expression was that of a stranger glancing around the first time, similar to those actual strangers who I didn't actually think would follow me when I asked them to.

   I'd be lying if I said I knew why I didn't ditch Rav, Camila and Dorian when I got the chance, because believe me, I thought about it. Hell, I was thinking about it right now.

   But my mind had already done the unsolicited task of coming up with multiple ideas in relation to their living situation. One exceptionally good one at that.

"Guys, guys." It took some seconds for them to direct their stares through the window to me. "So I was thinking, although you can't check into one of the hotels around where you live or in the city, there are certain secluded motels on the outskirts of Ridgeton and other neighbouring areas. They still accept cash so if you have any spare change or cards on you, maybe you could withdraw some money to check in undetected or something. You do an anonymous withdrawal. These motel establishments aren't usually expensive... I think. You'll get to stay there for a while until, well, I don't really know."

"That sounds great, Beth." The tiny smile that came with Rav's response surfaced a glimmer of hope. "Thank you."

"I think we should wait a while though." Camila cleared her throat before proceeding. "But that's not a bad idea."

"She's right," Dorian added.

   I nodded, about to turn back to the window until I noticed them still staring.

"What?"

"We can't stay in the bus all day now, can we?" Rav asked. "And you know this place more than any of us." Maybe we could do something somewhere I don't know."

"Yeah." Camila nodded. "How about your place?"

   It'll take more than one shared traumatic experience to welcome them to my home with open arms. But where else could they be until they checked into a motel? As much as I knew the ins and outs of Ridgeton, it didn't mean I hung out in all those places.

   I suppressed an incoming groan at the idea that chose to pop in my head the minute the bus pulled to a stop.

"Actually, I... I know a place."

***

"Beth!...and friends?" Mr. Shin's focus immediately shifted to the people trailing behind me as I walked up to his counter.

"Hello, Mr. Shin." I avoided making contact with his bewildered eyes. "These are my... Dorian, Aarav and Camila. They're classmates of mine."

   His quiet 'hello' was accompanied with a small smile.

"Wait, it's barely nine am." Mr. Shin gestured to his watch with a scrunched face. "Why aren't you in school?"

"I—I mean we, we—" For someone who had been lying for a while now, I just had to accept that lying wasn't in the cards for me. Not even the amateur kind.

"I think Beth is still finding it hard to comprehend the impromptu mid-term break of Zavlon Academia that began yesterday." Camila looked over to me with a chuckle. "We all are. That's actually what we were just discussing right before we walked into your store."