Learning to Love

*Second Grade*

"May, just get over it."

"No! I shall stand my ground."

"Did you just say shall?"

I reach to grab his face, "This is supposed to be a democracy! But taking away the slide they are taking our freedom!"

"I thought you hated the slide. You always complain about it being metal." He slides his shaggy hair away from his eyes.

"Obviously! Metal slides are an offense to humans. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't get a say!"

He calmly moves his head from my hands, "Maybel, we're seven. They arent going to listen to us."

"But-"

"No more buts!" We both take a minute to giggle at his 'butt' joke.

"I guess you're right. But, one day I will become the President, and kids will be allowed to vote for everything!"

"Uh, yeah. Want to go get ice cream?"

"Duh!"

I know he thinks I'm being silly, but I'm not. One day I will become President, and change the world. Mommy said it's past time for the first female President.

*Seventh Grade*

"He is so conceited!"

"May..."

"How dare he run against me!?"

"May..."

"He told me he wasn't going to run! Then goes ahead and does it!"

"May!"

"What!?"

"Chill out."

Of course, he doesn't get it. He's never cared for these things, but... I wish he did.

Before I can apologize a knock sounds on the door.

Ugh, I know exactly who that is.

"Charlie, come in!"

Kade's 'girlfriend'. I have a strong feeling they are going to break up in a week.

I fake gag, causing Kade to glare at me.

I don't even know why I care anymore. It's not as if I like him...

*Ninth Grade*

"So, May, we were thinking about going to homecoming together next weekend."

I look up from my Algebra book, "And why are you telling me this?"

Kade opens his mouth, but is interrupted by his 'girl', "It means you're not coming with us nerd." Her hand twitches as if she wants to hit me.

I wouldn't be surprised actually. It's happened way too many times to count. I guess popular girls like to hit people?

I search Kade's face for emotion, but like always, he is stone-faced. I hate seeing him like this. Always bored, not giving a crap about life, even if something hurts me.

"I wasn't planning to go anyway."

"Great."

I lower my head back to my book. I'm not doing anything though, I finished Friday's math a week ago. The only reason I even sit with them anymore is because of Kade.

More specifically, to look at Kade.

I sigh, and grab my math book, "I'm going to head to science, bye." I stop for a second, waiting to see if he looks at me.