Chapter 42 | With Greed Comes Lust In the Entertainment District

*second person p.o.v.*

Currently, you were with Tanjiro in house Tokito, doing whatever that was asked of you and Tanjiro. Unfortunately, there were still no signs of the demon.

Every now and then you all met up on the roofs of the houses, discussing if there were any clues spotted. So far, there were none. You both asked around for Suma, and even lied saying she was your older sister.

It's been 2 or a few days at least since you and Tanjiro first step foot in the Tokito house, and you have yet to get used to the feeling of being called something else other than your actual name.

Present time, you were with Tanjiro and Inosuke on the roof as you all were going over what had happened. "It's a thing! Like this!" Inosuke made weird hand gestures.

"No... Yeah, that's, uhm.. just wait a second." You and Tanjiro looked at him curiously, trying to make out what he was trying to say and do.

"Like this! Do you understand this?!" Inosuke exclaimed. "Look, Tengen and Zenitsu will be here soon for our reports, so..." You began to explain.

"Like this! I know what they're like!" Inosuke continued trying to explain what he saw, but you guys still had a hard time figuring it out.

You suddenly felt a presence make his way in front of you. "Hello, Tengen." You greeted.

Inosuke and Tanjiro snapped their heads over at Uzui. "How did you-" Tanjiro began, but Uzui cut in. "Zenitsu won't be coming." He announced.

"What do you mean Zenitsu isn't coming?" Tanjiro asked with confusion.

"I think i put you guys in real danger. I wanted to help my wives, but that led me to make some bad choices. Now Zenitsu is missing. I haven't heard from him since last night. Tanjiro, Inosuke, leave the hanamachi. You're not up for this. If there's an upper-rank demon here, you can't handle it. When someone disappears, we must count them as dead. From now on, me and Y/n operate alone on this mission." Uzui stood. "No, Tengen! We-" Tanjiro was cut off.

"There's no shame in this. To survive means victory. Do not squander this chance." Uzui looked back and gave you all a nod before disappearing.

"Wait-!" But Uzui was already gone. You sighed. "Maybe he didn't trust me and Inosuke because we're the lowest rank?" Tanjiro questioned, gazing at the spot Uzui used to be in.

"Me and you are 4 ranks from the bottom. We've gained ranks. We're kanoe now! But i don't know about the witch..." Inosuke flexed his fist and his rank suddenly appeared on his fist. It was all done by saying, 'show us our rank'.

You did the same and saw your rank, which was 5 ranks above Tanjiro's and Inosuke's; Kinoto. "WHAT?!" Inosuke exclaimed, grabbing your wrist.

"Your rank is 5 ranks above ours! How?!" Inosuke asked. "I don't know." You were even confused. "Wow, Y/n! Good job!" Tanjiro smiled.

You pat his head with a smile, and then began to speak. "Now, here's the plan. As soon as night falls, we'll meet you at house Ogimoto. Wait until then. It's dangerous to act alone. Today, Tanjiro and i will finish investigating house Tokito." You ordered.

"Y/n... are you sure you want to continue the mission with us?" Tanjiro asked.

"Of course! You're now under my supervision. If anything happens to you 2, i will be held responsible." You said. Inosuke suddenly pinched Tanjiro's cheek and yanked it.

"I'm telling you, there's a demon at my place! Come now! You really are stupid!" Inosuke exclaimed.

...

Later that evening, you and Tanjiro got equipped and ready to go. As her maids left, you and Tanjiro appeared behind her.

"Excuse me, Koinatsu. I apologize for the impropriety, but me and my brother are leaving house Tokito." You explain.

"Would you please pass on to the master and the others this payment for meals while we were in their care?" Tanjiro slid a envelope forward. Koinatsu stared confused.

"Sumi, why are you dressed like that? Why are you both dressed that way?" She asked. "I apologize for the deception, but though i dressed like a girl, i'm really a boy." Tanjiro explained.

"Yes, i knew that. With that body and voice of yours, i knew." Tanjiro made a stupid look. "...You did?" Tanjiro asked.

"I could tell from the start that you were a boy. I just wondered what you and your sister were doing." You all began to explain everything that's been happening, exchanging questions between each other.

"I guess i'll never know what brought you here, Sumi and Y/n." She smiled. You silently tapped your sword, which signaled to Koinatsu. Her eyes widened when she figured it out.

"De-" Before she could finish, you stopped her. Putting a finger to your lips, you motioned to her to keep it a secret.

Shocked, she slowly nodded. "Thank you, Koinatsu." You put on your mask and disappeared the way you appeared. You and Tanjiro reappeared back on the roof and began to walk in silence.

"Hm. The sun is setting." You pointed out. "Yeah, i guess it is." Suddenly, you came to a halt. "A demon!" You and Tanjiro immediately turned back and sprinted towards the scent. You crouched on the windowsill and saw the upper-rank demon.

"Another demon slayer child? You returned, eh? Very well. How many of you are there? There's you 2 and that ugly kid with yellow hair... did a hashira come too? Will one come soon? You," She pointed to Tanjiro,

"Are too weak to be a hashira. And you," She pointed at you, "Aren't strong enough to be a hashira. I have no use for any demon slayers less than a hashira, you know..." Your eyes then trailed over to Koinatsu who was struggling in the demon's obi.

"I couldn't eat anything so dirty and old." She sneered.

Then you and Tanjiro realized that only Koinatsu's head was peaking out. 'Where was her body? No, she couldn't have possibly been severed. I don't smell any blood!' You thought.

"Hey! You let her go!" Tanjiro demanded. "Who do you think you're talking to?" Veins suddenly bulged out of her forehead.

Calmly, and without any emotion, you replied. "A demon." She scowled.

"I'm an upper-rank demon!" She yelled. "And...? What difference will that make when your head is severed from your body?" You began to provoke her, which proved successful.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Y/n." Tanjiro warned, tugging on your haori sleeve. "It's a great idea." You smiled under your mask.

"You brat! I'll kill you!" She threatened. Suddenly, her obi stretched out and knocked you 2 out of the house and onto the roof.

"I bet you're ugly!" Daki said as she smiled ferociously at you. "Hey! She's prettier than you! Watch your mouth!" Tanjiro retorted. You tapped his shoulder lightly.

"I think that's enough provoking. Leave Nezuko's box and let's go." You whispered. He nodded reluctantly and dropped the box off the roof, following after you.

Daki rushed forward, and you found yourself dodging the obi, which knocked your mask off. You landed down on your feet, and Tanjiro landed right next to you.

Tanjiro handed back your mask, and you put it back on. "Hm? I guess you weren't lying. You're both cute but you make me sick. A bit like a dying rat. I like you two." Daki smirked.

______________________________________

Timeskip between this chapter and the next; after the fight. Cuz I'm lazy 😭.

-Moonlxght

(1270 words)