Chapter 35: Jake

A/N: Mature content (finally, I know).

"Again Jake..." Tim Harrell passed me a half-sheet of white paper and a tight-lipped smile. "All clean."

"Thanks." My head nodded a few times as I skimmed over the list of negatives I'd expected and all of me was satisfied when that's all I saw.

"None of my business, but thought you were monogamous," he spoke quietly, his gray eyes filled with a hint of curiosity. When my eyes snapped up to his, he clarified, "The internet oversharer."

"Not her." I snapped a picture of my STD results, which weren't worth the long q-tip swabbed straight right through my slit for no reason because the only action my cock had gotten since my last test involved my hand and Harper's mouth, both of which I was positive were clean.

Nonetheless, I texted Harper the picture. While I one-hundred percent agreed that safe was better than sorry, I still shot her a cocky response.

me: Told you.
me: [ image attached ]

"But yeah." My mouth twisted into a half-grin at Tim and I slipped my phone into my pocket. "Hoping this one lasts the whole season."

"Well then..." Tim reached into a familiar white cabinet, fished out a silver cardboard box, and whipped it in my direction. With a soft smack against my palms, I caught the box of Magnums and tucked them into my gear bag.

"Thanks," I started when my phone buzzed against my outer thigh.

HER: They missed one.

After one wave of gratitude in Tim's direction, I exited his office and closed the wood door behind me. The training facilities walls surrounded me as I frowned at Harper's response and walked towards the exit. A quick recheck of my paper slip showed all the standard 14-panel test results.

me: What?

HER: The asshole STD.
HER: Side effects are overconfidence, cockiness, and premature ejaculation.

"Not funny." I might've smiled at her response, just a little.

me: I showed you mine, show me yours.

HER: Still waiting.
HER: Mortals use the campus health clinic.

Guess we're starting after the Notre Dame game.

The thought stirred a mix of disappointment and subdued excitement in me.

Work first, play second is probably better anyways.

While the UW game was circled on a lot of fans' calendars like a rematch of last year's PAC-12 Championship game and the UCLA one for a local rivalry, game three's opponent was one of USC's biggest and longest rivals, Notre Dame.

After years of defensive holes, the Fighting Irish simplified their defensive scheme into an adaptive one. During Sunday's film study, we saw how easily they rotated their linebackers, sat their top rookies more than other teams in favor of their seasoned players, and played man-on-man coverage with aggressive corners, which meant a challenge for our receivers.

In an unusual approach, Offensive coordinator Colbert and my quarterback Coach McGuire drew up a few more trick plays for Saturday's game than normal. We lined up Pierce Lydell, my number two running back, in a few alternative positions like full back for some end-around and reverse plays that took a few reps before we streamlined them.

An end around was a handoff of the ball from me to a wide receiver, which Evan actually picked up faster than Griff. The play's name came from how the 'end' receiver came 'around' to get the ball. A reverse play happened whenever a pitched or handed off ball was carried aggressively in one direction, like parallel to the line of scrimmage, then handed off to a wide receiver.