Chapter 67: Jake

A/N: Mature content. 🤪❤️❓

"Fuck, what wild animal attacked you?" Zach teased me while we dressed in between Monday's practice and the offensive team's film study session.

An away game meant a slightly shifted schedule, more condensed practices because of our Friday travel day, lighter conditioning and weight training sessions, and our film study time moved to Monday and Thursday.

After we steam-rolled over Cal, we had a three-game road trip block in our schedule that started this weekend against San Jose State University. If I was forced to pick, while I loved the support of the USC home fans, I slightly preferred away games because the pressure to win was always greater on the home team. For this particular upcoming weekend, the Spartans had also only one game this year and I, along with the rest of my teammates and coaches, intended that their losing streak continued.

The proximity of San Jose State's campus to Palo Alto also meant that Mom and my extended family attended the game. Their loud presence was both heart-warming and bittersweet because a one pm start meant we flew up on Friday, stayed the night in the team hotel, and flew back after the game.

Instead of rooming with Drake like I usually did on road trips, after today's film study I'd asked Coach Campbell for permission to stay with my family. He quickly declined that request on the grounds of minimizing outside distractions.

So what did my stubborn-ass family do? Found the hotel we're staying at and booked their own rooms there.

I will not at all be surprised if they end up on the same damn floor, knowing my crazy cousins.

"Harper," Griff answered Zach but grinned at me, his mouth full of half a Snickers bar. He pointed another one over my shoulder and lifted his chin up. "I still think Ev looks worse though. Dude's nipples are bruised up."

From across the locker aisle, Evan grumbled to himself while he tugged down his shirt over what definitely looked like purple nipples. I wasn't sure exactly what he'd said but was pretty sure the words 'worth it' were in them.

"Griff, do you ever offer an answer with substance?" I groaned quietly as he shoved the candy bar's other half into his mouth, then tore another one open and waved it at me like an offering.

Since I avoided that sugary shit during the season, I just shook my head and yanked up my sweats.

He acts like they don't feed us dinner in late film study sessions either.

"Nope." He sprayed a few peanut crumbs in my direction, then dove into the second bar.

I shook my head with a low groan. My dark brown hair, damp and slicked down, now curled over my ears and up at the base of my skull. A small smile twitched on my lips as I remembered Harper's odd compliment.

Guess I'm not getting that haircut yet.

After an almost useless film study because I knew within the first six reviewed plays of Cal's defense meant screens and options were our direction, I walked back home with my chin tucked down to my chest and brain crammed full of our offensive schemes planned for Saturday's game.

Fuck, I know it works but option, option, option on repeat is... monotonous.

Once inside my room, my head shook at the sight of where my desk had previously stood. Evan carried it with me out to the curb without a single word of judgment, just like I'd done for him the week prior. I walked by the drywall dent I still hadn't yet patched up, and dropped my bag on the floor in my closet.