Chapter 18 - The Mockingjay

"Good morning, Finnick," I say, as I walk into his room, carrying a tray of food.

"Did you know they had Annie?" His words came out so fragile, it hurt my heart to hear him sound so much more broken after hearing that they had Annie.

"I was only told this morning, my boss warned me that you might be acting differently today," I say grabbing his table from the side of the room after placing his food down on it. I positioned it at the side of his bed, before noting down some of his vitals.

"They wouldn't hurt her, would they?" He asked, which made me stop in my tracks. I placed the clipboard I was holding back onto the end of his bed before taking a seat next to him, taking his hand in mine.

"I'm not going to lie to you, Finnick, because a friend shouldn't lie, okay?" I asked him, to which he nodded, "I don't know if they'd hurt her or not. She was in the dark about rebel plans, just like Peeta and Katniss. So I think that might weigh in her favour."

He just nodded, trying to reassure himself that she'd be okay.

"Now, try and eat something," I say, standing up to finish my tasks with Finnick before moving onto other patients I needed to help.

Walking out of his room, I continue my rounds, helping newly in patients to those who have been there for a little while. I always went back to Finnick during my breaks, making sure he wasn't lonely. Halfway through a funny story of when Finnick first tried to make a net when he was kid, there was a knock on his door.

"Miss y/l/n, Katniss Everdeen is going to District 12. Mr Heavensbee said to ask if you wished to go along with Gale," the man asked.

I looked back at Finnick, who shrugged and gave a look of 'why not'.

I look towards the man, before nodding, "I'll go change."

I headed back up to the upper floors where some of the living quarters were. Opening the door to the simple room everyone is assigned, I opened my wardrobe to change into the standard issue jumpsuits everyone in 13 was given to wear. I placed my nurses uniform on my bed ready for when I got back, before going down many floors until I reached the hovercraft dock.

I saw Boggs, Katniss and Gale waiting by the hovercrafts, deep in conversation. I was incredibly excited, because I hadn't seen Gale in a while, the nurses and doctors eat in a break room, as to be near to patients should they need them. And after long shifts, not to mention combat training, I could never find the time to find him.

Running up to them, I yelled out their names, "Katniss! Gale!"

They looked towards me, and Gale opened his arms for me to dive into, "How's work been, y/n/n?"

"Busy." I reply, enveloping Katniss in a hug as well.

"It's good to see you, y/n."

"You too, Katnip."

Making our way onto the hovercraft, we strapped in, making our way to District 12. Some small talk was had, but it was mainly silent, Gale and I preparing for all the memories of that day to come rushing back in, and Katniss getting ready to witness what the Capitol had done.

When we reached twelve, the ramp slowly lowered, allowing Katniss to exit the hovercraft.

"13 swept everything, top to bottom so you'd be safe," Gale said, "You sure you don't want us to go with you?"