Chapter 27 - Underground

I watched as the bullets ripped through the air, shattering the glass of the building where the Leeg sisters were. A peacekeeper fell to the ground as Leeg 1 shot at the guards in white, despite being massively outnumbered. They launched a small fire bomb into the building, blowing it up as the walls become rubble, tumbling down to the ground. I felt stuck, frozen at the window, peaking through a small gap in the fabric. A familiar sound filled the living room, announcing that something was about to be shown that was mandatory to watch.

I lowered myself down, closing the curtains and leaning against them as I turned to watch one of the 4 screens in the centre of the room, Finnick doing the same next to me, Jasper jumping into my lap and nuzzling himself into me.

"Good afternoon. I'm Caesar Flickerman," The familiar man appeared on one of the four screens that sat in a square above our head, "Here with our continuing coverage
of the defense of The Capitol."

I quickly looked to see where Peeta was, and saw him sitting on the stairs, watching the screen. I turned back to the screen as Caesar continued.

"Today, as our Peacekeepers valiantly hold off the rebels, our story takes
a surprising twist," footage started to play of us running for cover while the tidal wave of oil came after us, "Katniss Everdeen, our once favorite daughter, has infiltrated the city with some of the Victors, whose names are all too familiar. Finnick Odair and Peeta Mellark."

Caesar paused for a moment, "Hmm.
Clearly, some alliances don't last forever. Take a look at what happened just a moment ago, when our Peacekeepers cornered Katniss Everdeen and her band of foolish rebels. Whatever arrogance brought this treacherous girl back to us, you are about to witness a great victory, not only for The Capitol, but for Panem."

The footage of what we just saw replayed on the screen, as we watched the building tumble down with the Leeg's inside for the second time, and if we hadn't lost two of out squad members from that, I would laugh slightly at the irony of this, how they think we're all dead when we were very much alive and hiding out in their own lavish city.

"So there you have it. Katniss Everdeen, the Girl on Fire, a girl who inspired so much violence, seems to have met a violent end herself," Caesar paused for a slight dramatic effect, "Stay tuned for more information. Caesar Flickerman. Thank you."

The screens immediately shut off and went back to proudly displaying the Capitol symbol, with the grey background casting a slight light throughout the dark room.

"So now that we're dead, what are we gonna do?" Gale asked the group, looking around, getting an answer almost immediately.

"Isn't it obvious?" Peeta asked from his place on the stairs, head leaning against the white wall with holes in it that acted as some sort of fashionable banister that cut the stairs off from the rest of the room, "The next move is to kill me."

"Peeta..." I murmured, shaking my head.

"I murdered one of our squad members. Katniss is right," He said, and it was like you could almost see cracks forming, showing how broken he was from everything that had happened, and everyone's faces were grave, looking towards the ground or their boots, letting the heavy reality of the situation sink in, "I'm a mutt. And it's only a matter of time before I snap again. I'm not in control."

I looked away from him, knowing he was right. He wasn't in control, and it is only a matter of time before he snaps again.

"I need a nightlock pill, so I can die when I need to."

"If it gets to that point, I'll kill you myself," Gale told him from where he was crouched.

*****