Chapter 19 - Propo

I saw a familiar figure sitting at one of the tables in the canteen, squinting my eyes, I realised who it was. She looked very different without all the wigs and makeup.

"Is that Effie?" I asked as Katniss finished getting her food.

"Where?"

I nodded my head in Effie's direction, "Over there."

Katniss started making her way over to the table, Gale and I following her, "Effie?"

Effie looked at the girl and a sense of relief washed over her face that she was alright.

"What are you doing here?" Katniss questioned, setting her food down and giving the woman a hug.

"I'm a political refugee."

"Plutarch rescued you?" I asked, taking a seat on the other side of Effie, spotting a black folder.

"Rescued, yes, that's what he calls it," Effie replied, distaste in her voice, "Katniss and I were both in the dark. Now I'm condemned to this life of jumpsuits."

I kept in a laugh, knowing how annoyed Effie might get if I told her I didn't have to wear a jumpsuit all the time.

"It is wonderful to see you again," Effie said, patting my hand and shaking Gale's, "Can you believe this place? I miss coffee. I never knew anyplace could be so strict. I mean, I thought at least in the higher ranks there'd be some... side action. I miss my wigs."

Effie looked at us, before gesturing to her head, "Luckily, I remembered that this was all the rage when I was coming up. You know, everything old can be made new again. Like democracy."

She pushed away her tray and drink towards me, so I put it on the other side of me so it was out of the way while she revealed the binder to Katniss and Gale, "Which brings me to this."

Katniss slowly opened the cover, a black mockingjay symbol on the inside, and beautiful paintings of a mockingjay outfit, "Cinna. He's dead, isn't he?"

"Yes, dear," Effie said softly, making me gasp. I had no idea he was in any danger. I only met him a few times, but when we talked he was so kind, commented on how he would love to make me an outfit one day, it had me smile, and he had talked about all the different ideas he could think of for a dress for me, "He made Plutarch promise not to show you this until you'd decided to be The Mockingjay on your own. He knew the risks. As we all do. He believed in this revolution. He believed in you."

"They're beautiful," Katniss whispered, passing the book over to me to have a look, and I could only agree with her.

"They have it. They have the Mockingjay outfit," Effie stated, "There's not much of a prep team here in 13 but we will make you the best-dressed rebel in history."

*****

I stood by one of the giant fans in a filming room, as two stylist placed horrid amount of make up on Katniss' face, making her look older than she was.

Effie shooed them away, coming to stand in front of Katniss with a black mockingjay pin, "Cinna's final touch."

I looked at my friend, "Cinna is truly amazing."

She smiled lightly, before Effie continued speaking, "Everyone's either gonna wanna kiss you, kill you, or be you."

Effie then came and stood next to me, looking at my nurses uniform, as Plutarch spoke, "Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Okay. Let's bring up the setting. Little wind."