34. A promise (2)

Daniel looked around the battlefield having retracted his wings. The Panther tribe was being decimated. The so-called Champions of Life were useless against the Lizard Champions, and the Panther warriors were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of the Lizard Warriors.

'We need to take out the Lizard Champions first,' Jon said and started prioritizing targets.

Daniel dashed straight towards a cluster of champions fighting. A female Panther Champion that had attacked him at the temple the other day was being overwhelmed but still held her ground. Bloodied and battered, it was a matter of time before she received the final blow. As the Lizard Champion blade was falling on her, she felt an arm around her waist pulling her back and the pressure of the Lizard Champion's blade passing a few centimeters from her face. Daniel stepped next to her and launched a dark spear through the enemy's armor. She watched in awe as the Lizard Champion fell on the ground and turned around to thank the human only to see he had already disappeared.

Unfortunately, Daniel's wounds didn't allow him to release his entire domain. This would have ended the conflict within minutes. A few meters around himself was the limit before the pain became unbearable. However, Daniel didn't need the dark domain to kill these weaklings. With one dark blade in each hand, he moved through the enemies like water flowing between rocks. Everywhere he passed, dead bodies dropped on the ground.

Suddenly, he felt a change in the enemy formations. He saw four Lizard Champions stepping on the battlefield. The one in the middle was different -- he was gigantic compared to the others and had an intricate armor.

'Cap, that must be the Lizard General. If we kill him, this will end quickly,' Jon shouted.

Daniel started moving towards the General. He swerved between the Lizard warriors trying to block his way and bypassed the Champions protecting the General. Daniel could see the surprise on the General's face when the dark blade came straight to his heart.

* Cling *

A sound that shouldn't be heard. The moment the dark blade was about to cut the General, his armor flashed with white-blue runes, and the blade was blocked.

Daniel was surprised. Nothing had ever blocked his dark blade before. This minor distraction was enough for the General to punch Daniel and send him sprawling on the ground and smashing on the nearby fortification wall.

When Daniel raised his head, he could hear the General laughing. His head was buzzing, and his eyes were not focusing well. The wound on his shoulder was open again, gashing blood.

'Those were divine runes! You need a divine artifact to power them,' Jon shouted.

Daniel shook his head and dashed forward once more, unleashing his domain to surround the General. However, as he approached the General, he realized in shock that within 5 meters from the General, his domain was canceled -- leaving an unarmed Daniel running towards the massive General. Daniel jumped back, barely avoiding a swing of the General's blade.

The General laughed loudly, drawing attention to the two opponents.

Daniel was pissed. He had become complacent in the last few months. If his dark powers didn't work, he would try a conventional approach. Daniel spitted blood on the ground and grabbed an ax lying next to a dead Lizard Warrior.

Dashing forward once more, he realized that the three other Lizard Champions had created an arena for the two opponents. They didn't allow any of the Panther Warriors to approach -- it was a one-VS-one fight. He moved towards the General, more careful this time. The General smiled and provoked him.

Using his past life experience, he started swerving around the General, taking each possibility to attack his joints and probe for weak spots.

Alis was watching the fight from the sidelines like most other Warriors. It seems that all of the Panther and Lizard Warriors paused to watch the confrontation. She had tried to go near Daniel to support him, only to get beat back by a Lizard Champion.