40. A few days in the city

"Richard? Richard? Has anyone seen Richard?" a boy's voice echoed on the battlefield that was scarred by the fierce fight.

Nobody responded. The knights looked at each other and then glanced at the row of shallow graves at the side of the road. They lost twelve people during the fight. For some of their allies, there was not even a body to bury.

"Rik, have you seen Richard?" the boy directed his question to one of the knights. Not knowing how to respond, the knight simply pointed to the side of the road.

The boy's eyes widened as he started running in that direction. Alis walked slowly behind him, keeping some distance.

When they reached the shallow graves, Prince Alan recognized the armor on one of the graves. He had seen the insignia every day since he was born. He kneeled and put his hands on the grave,

"No, no, no NO! This is not right! Why? Why?"

The boy's cries were the only sound in the area.

Standing nearby in the shadows, Daniel had a strange look on his face.

'Cap, is there something wrong? Are you sad for the boy?' Jon asked.

"I.. I have memories of a boy crying over a fallen father, of a father crying over a son, of a girl crying over her parents. All these memories are in my mind but are not mine. At the same time, each one of those people is me. I see everything through their eyes," Daniel confided.

'When did this start?' Jon asked in a dejected voice.

"Right after the fight with the Lizard General," Daniel answered and turned his back, heading to the camp.

'I see...'

The boy's wailing echoed for several hours until he lost consciousness from exhaustion. Alis quickly moved in and carried him away to the camp they had set up on the hill.

Later at night, around the campfire, three people were sitting: the highest-ranking surviving knight -- Rik, the adventurer Pit, and Daniel.

"So, you have no money at all?" Pit asked flabbergasted.

Rik shook his head,

"Right before the battle with the hydra, we were betrayed. One of the knights took all the gold we had and disappeared. We were about to hunt him down when the black hydra attacked."

Rik looked at the fire and added solemnly,

"We lost twelve good people and most of our supplies during the fight. Also, our movements have been exposed, so there will probably be more attacks on the way to the capital. As we are, we will probably not make it there alive."

Pit looked at the knight,

"Well, we can escort you until Alaiza but after that... For certain reasons, we cannot leave Alaiza for the next few months."

"I see," Rik responded and sighed.

"Can't you talk to the lord of Alaiza? The boy is a prince, after all!"

"No. The Lord of Alaiza is in the Crown Prince's faction. Talking to him will only invite more trouble."

"I see..." answered Pit.

A long silence prevailed and several minutes passed without anyone talking.

"Alis and I will escort you to the Capital. It's on our way," Daniel broke the silence.

"My Lord, thank you!" the knight shouted and bowed deeply. He wanted to ask Daniel to escort them but didn't dare. With his powers, they might make it to the Capital alive.