35 - You've made your bed

"You didn't have to come," I mutter to both Dylan and Liam when we step into the hospital

Apparently, Dylan inherited a lot from his dad. The crazy fast driving seems to have been another one. We were three hours away and made it here in half the time.  The same way his mom had said he had come back when he broke up with his ex. 

The car ride was silent and stressful for me but I am grateful for their help. Also, grateful for the fact that they all insisted that  Liam would come with us. He volunteered right away.

"Of course, we had, sweety." 

If I weren't too worried, I'd be more appreciative of Liam's soft tone. The whole family has welcomed me since the beginning but I know that out of all of them, Liam is the protector of the family. He'll stay quiet and observe, trying to understand the situation of the person that is coming into his loved ones' lives.

I was no exception. He was always kind and nice, but I know he has been assessing me from the beginning. It doesn't bother me, it makes me respect him even more - he is doing for his kids what my dad never did for me.

And I know that with the amazing examples that Dylan has in his life, he'll get so far and be so happy.

I just hope I can be the one by his side. 

"I know the staff," Dylan's dad informs me. "I have worked here a lot over the years. I'll try and know what's going on. Dylan, take her to the waiting room." 

I don't hear Dylan's voice because my focus is on the white hospital walls that surround me, the awful sterile smell that fills my nostrils and the fallen heads of the other people who sit in those dreadful chairs, waiting for the same as I: news. Who would have thought that this would be where I'd end up the night.

Dylan's birthday night.

"I'm sorry."

"What?" Dylan pauses, looking at me confused. "Why are you saying sorry?"

"I shouldn't have come. I ruined your birthday and now..."

"Hey, hey, look at me," he orders and I obey. "My birthday will never be ruined as long as I am with you. I'd be rather angrier if you hadn't come to spend the weekend, end up here all by yourself and me not having a clue. There's nowhere else I'd rather be." 

"You're so cheesy," I sigh to his chest.

His strong arms wrap around my body, tightening, holding me against him.

"You love it." 

I can hear the smirk in his voice and I know he didn't mean it that way but I do. I really do - even if I am not ready to tell him that. 

However, not answering makes it all awkward. His arms tense slightly and I freeze, not knowing what to do or say to get out of the funk. Honestly? This should be the last thing on my mind now, I have bigger things to worry about.