57 - Adjourned

"So, you confirm that you saw the defendant enter the Hotel when he did the check-in with a bag but never saw him come out?"

"I mean... We were busy trying to get the system back up. He could still have left but I never saw him do it. Truth is that from the moment the system got back up to morning when the ambulance arrived, he was not seen coming out either."

"What will it be then?"

"I don't know. I didn't see him leave before but truth is that by the time things went back to normal, there isn't a sign of him in the camera and we didn't see him. If in fact, he did, he must have left sooner." 

"Still, he could have left right before the system came back up, giving him just enough time to... attack our client." 

The hotel receptionist shrugs while the accusation lawyer turns back to the judge, "No more questions, your Honour." 

After the break, the receptionist was the following witness and my lawyer was the first one to question him, leaving in the air the question if had I really been there all along or could have left without him noticing - which is what happened. 

"Let's call the next witness," The judge looks at her paperwork, looks for the name and then looks back up at the room, calling them, "Joshua Rodriguez."

The door opens, revealing the person behind the door. A tall lean guy steps inside and my body slumps in relief. The convenience store guy.

Fuck yes. 

He walks inside, the same way Luna did and sits right in front of me. He confirms his name and swears to say the truth before the first questions are asked. 

"Joshua, can you tell us everything from the moment your shift started on December twenty-sixth?" 

"Sure, with Christmas and all other places closing, my dad and I like to keep it open, we make more money. And I was on the night shift that night. Eleven in the evening to seven in the morning. I had just started the shift forty-five minutes before when, ahm, Dylan go there."

"Can you point out to us who Dylan is?" The store guy, Joshua looks behind him, our eyes lock and he points directly at me. 

"So that means he got to the store around eleven forty-five?" 

"Yes. I remember because I was playing Candy Crush on the phone and I saw the time when the bell rang and he got inside."

"And then?"

"He bought a few bottles of alcohol and asked if he could take the back alley. He had done it once before and I remembered him from that night with Luna. He never got himself or us into problems and he seemed upset so I figured he needed some time alone." 

"He stayed there?" 

"Yes. I checked up on him at one in the morning, he was  sitting down on the pavement, on his second bottle, muttering to himself."