Chapter 14: Skylar

It's been a few weeks since that dreaded play date. I'm running around my room right now stuffing my books into my backpack.

Why am I always late for school?

I stuff the last book into my backpack and quickly grab my phone as a notification goes off.

Maya: Skylar what the hell. Why have you been ignoring me for the past couple of weeks? Is this because I came with you to that stupid play date? I just wanted to make sure you were okay!

I sigh at the message and put my phone in my back pocket.

If only she knew.

I grab my car keys and run down the stairs.

"Wow slow your roll hon." Mom says as she walks out of the kitchen and towards the stairs.

"Can't mom, I am late!" I say running past her to the coat rack.

"Honey, you're always late. Is today really a surprise?" Mom says.

"Gee thanks a lot mom. Really appreciate the vote of confidence." I reply, running into the kitchen and stuffing a croissant roll in my mouth.

"Momma Skylar's late again!" Erin shouts as she sees me running through the kitchen while she eats her bowl of cereal.

"Alright guys, I get it! I am always late! It's been established. Let's move on!" I reply with my mouth full.

"Hey, it's rude to talk with your mouth full Skylar," Erin states with furrowed eyebrows and her pointer finger up in the air.

I chuckle at her. She's saying that cause I always say that to her.

I ruffle her hair, "Alright Erin you got me."

I give her a kiss on her cheek and say, "Have a good day at school bug."

"GROSS COOTIES!" Erin yells as she wipes away my kiss.

"You did NOT just do that," I say as I grab her and give her tons of kisses all over her face. Erin cannot contain her laughter and will not stop squirming in my arms.

"Skylar, that's enough. You're going to get detention if you're even more late to school." Mom says, laughing at our interaction.

I stop and say, "There that's better. Alright, Mom. I'm leaving."

I head to the door with my keys in my hand. I quickly put my shoes on and am about to walk out when my mom yells, "Skylar wait!"

I turn around to see her running towards the door, "you almost forgot your lunch sweetheart."

I laugh, "Thanks, mom! That would've sucked." I quickly grab the brown paper bag that's holding my lunch and head to my car.

"Drive safely!" Mom shouts as I get in the car.

"Yup! Always!" I shout back, starting the engine.

I get to the school and ran to my history class, barely making it on time for my 1st-period history class. I quickly take my seat knowing Mr. Bex doesn't waste a millisecond of class.

20 minutes into class my phone goes off because of a notification.

"Hey, no phones in class guys. Turn them off." Mr. Bex quickly says.

I grab my phone out of my pocket and read the notification.

Maya: Skylar, are you not going to answer me? Are you just going to ignore me forever? You've been ignoring Mark too! What is wrong? Please sky. You're my best friend. I can't lose you. I don't know what I'd do.

I swallow the lump in my throat that I didn't notice formed and turn my phone off.

Third-period physics class goes by fairly quickly with my usual tormentors doing what they do best of course - torment me. Once the bell rings, I rush out of my class and head to math class.

I sigh, Maya's in this class. God, she's been trying to talk to me every single day, but I always just give her the cold shoulder. I am horrible.

As I'm about to walk into the class, I suddenly get pulled into the bathroom. Someone pushed me in and closes the door behind them. My heart is beating fast, knowing that this never ends up well for me.

"Please, don't h-" I begin to say as I look at the culprit that brought me in here, only to be met with the face of someone I love and would do anything for.

"Don't what?!" Maya yells.

"M-maya."

"No, don't Maya me! What the hell Skylar! What did I do?!"

"You didn't do anything Maya."

"Then why are you treating me like this. Why are you treating Mark like this? I don't even know what to do anymore. I've tried everything to get you to talk to me, but you just ignore me!"

"I'm sorry," I mumble.

"No, sorry doesn't cut it. I want to know why."

I don't reply.

"Skylar!"

"I can't tell you," I mumble out.

"It's either you tell me or you lose me forever," Maya says.

I don't say anything. I mean what does she expect me to say? The girls that you despise told me not to be friends with you so I listened. Like, what's the point? She'll just try to convince me that it's stupid. I know it is but if I don't listen it'll hurt me a lot more in the end, and I need to look out for myself now and my family.

"Skylar!" Maya shouts.

"What do you want me to say?! Huh! Like I don't have an answer to give you. Like nothing I say can make this any better. I'm sorry, but I can't be friends with you anymore! Get it through your head!" I yell.

There's a moment of silence and that moment speaks volumes. The annoyance I was feeling inside of me instantly turned into regret. And, I could tell that the annoyance that Maya was feeling turned into hurt.

"Whatever. I'm done with you." Maya says as she walks out of the bathroom.

I walk backward until my back hits the bathroom wall, and I slide down on the floor, with tears spilling out of my eyes.

God, I just lost her. I lost my one real friend. She was all I had, and they took her away from me. I hate them. I hate them so much. I have had enough of this. I have had enough of them. The minute I get my chance to today, I'm going to let them have it.

A/N: Hey guys! I know I haven't updated in a while and I'm sorry about that!  I'm gonna try to update a little, but I'm not sure how often that will be.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and if you did please vote!