Chapter 6

Mila's POV

I'm at a loss for words. This is the first time in my life when I'm actually speechless.

I glance at one of the windows of a nearby shop to see if the girl is still standing there in the same exact spot that I've left her before I basically power walked away once again.

"Well shit!" I whisper to myself when I realise that I should have just dropped everything and ask her to run away with me.

"Damn it!" I mutter and scold myself for not ever asking for her name like normal people do. Sure, without even making a proper introduction like normal people do, I just decided I needed this girl to run away with me because the kiss we shared had sparked something in me and I felt alive again.

I turn left and continue down the narrow alleyway while still having an internal fight with myself.

I completely forgot how frowned upon looking someone up online is. I knew everything about Avery within minutes whereas she knows absolutely nothing about me.

I make it back into my fancy hotel room and grab my laptop again to look her next moves up. She will be heading to Czech Republic and Slovakia up next. That journey will take her about two days until she moves onto Romania for another two days.

I pull out my phone to scroll any job offers in those areas but the next one is in Ukraine. Avery's second day of arrival there.

I sit there trying to decide what to do but my hands have a mind of their own and next thing I know I'm going to Ukraine after confirming the job offer.

5 DAYS LATER- Ukraine

I get off the plane with extra bounce in my step until I catch myself smiling. I drop it and pull out my fake passport when coming close to customs.

The lady flips a couple of pages with a frown, looks at me and then looks back down before handing the documents back to me. I wink at her and walk off with a little smirk when I notice her instantly blush. Suddenly I'm reminded of a certain blonde that I might be seeing in passing soon and that makes me shudder in a bad way. Not the fact that I'm seeing her. The fact that I winked and flirted with someone else made me feel sick to my stomach. What's that all about?

If Avery hadn't changed her mind she should be on her way to one of the tours around Chernobyl which I'm also joining last minute. I make sure to check into my hotel room and drop everything thats unnecessary except a change of clothes if the job gets messy.

A couple of hours later I'm making my way out of an apartment owned by a random man that I just killed with an axe just as requested by his wife. Apparently he had this secret apartment for just under six months and she's pretty sure that he had been unfaithful as well as making deals with some sketchy people lately. She knew he had been stashing the money away from her so he could run away and start everything from scratch but she had beat him to it. I'd say 'literally' but I've done the dirty work for her.

I made sure to leave a cryptic note hidden away that states that whatever money that is found goes to his wife if anything happened to him.

I hear muffled voices going up the stairs and freeze for a second. I made sure the door is closed in case anyone goes past the apartment so there's nothing to worry about. Right? I keep making my way down until I'm met by two men in black tracksuits and baseball bats and I can just tell they're coming to pay my victim a visit.

I say a quick hello in Ukrainian and a quiet thank you when they stop and let me go past. They continue going up while I'm practically trying to run without making much noise.