𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍.

𝑻𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒆𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝑪𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆, 𝑭𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈
____________

"Why would you show the STEM to them!?" Marcelo stomped towards his research partner, red with seething anger, his blood boiling at Ruben's perceived carelessness, foolishness.

Ruben turned towards him and gave a quick glance to the wall at his side. He hoped that from the peace of your morgue, you wouldn't hear Jimenez's outburst. He thought it'd be embarrassing. His eyes met those of Dr. Jimenez, so close that he could see every bloodshot vein on them, he could trace them with his gaze and almost waited for one of them to burst. A smirk tugged on his lips.

"I thought they'd like to see my creation." His response was kept short, simple, as he knew it would push all of Marcelo's wrong buttons. Ruben relished in the rage emanating from the older man, someone he didn't like, or trust.

"The little shit could tell everyone or steal the idea." He growled and held his head between his palms on sheer desperation. "You've released it to the world, don't you see?"

Ruben only gave a hum of acknowledgment, which left Jimenez silent and alone with the fire inside his gut. There was no way he would tell Jimenez, but he trusted you more than he ever did with him. The way you had held his hand after seeing the machine, the wide-eyed gaze you had given him, that subtle smile. He knew you wouldn't tell, you wouldn't break his trust, he knew that you yourself didn't trust anyone in this place, you only had him and he only had you.

Jimenez was nothing but a stepping stone towards the inevitable success he'd walk by your side to.

"You know. They've been asking about Jenkins, " Ruben said while cleaning the needles he'd later attach to his subject's nervous system. His smile grew wider at Marcelo's sudden paleness. "I'm almost tempted to tell them about what happened,"

Jimenez narrowed his eyes, clutched his lab coat, swallowed the knot on his throat. "They would hate you."

He paled, deeper, upon Ruben's amused gaze.

"They would hate you." He corrected, advancing towards him. "You brought her to me under the guise of her being another suitable subject. I was only doing what you told me. "

Jiménez's gut churned at the tone that Ruben used in the last sentence. Words dripping with a satirical victimhood, and he wondered how the world would see that phrase if word of their endeavors ever got out, if Ruvik could manipulate his way into pushing the innocence of a burned, abused son against him, a madman working for a shady corporation.

"She threatened my life," the older man responded, almost yelled.

Excuses, excuses, thought Ruben, bemused with the whole ordeal. Lately, Marcelo has been more of a complainer than a work partner, and it irritated him to no end.

"After you threatened hers," Ruben reminded him, it seemed to close his obnoxious yapping jaw immediately. "They may never tell anyone about STEM, but you'll be gone if what happened gets out."

The gears inside Marcelo's mind started turning, clicking.

Plotting a downfall.

It was a rather tough month, but despite everything you pushed through.