𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍.

𝑺𝒐 𝑷𝒂𝒍𝒆 𝑰𝒕 𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝑰𝒏 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑵𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕
____________

He watched, always, even if you couldn't see him. These were just corners of his mind, after all. He could be watching you close, right in front of your eyes and you'd never perceive even a vestige of his presence.

So why, if you didn't know anything about this place, do something like that? It went against your mischievous nature, against the terrifying things you had seen and done; something so selfless, something that could've killed you had it not worked. You had thought of him, before you thought of anyone else. He was on your mind. He had seen your thoughts, constant and often restrained, denying the feelings that grew at Beacon and now remained present even if they were small, and now you kept alive the memory of his sister, no matter how twisted it had become.

Your actions made Ruben feel... safe. At home. Like he could trust you with his darkest secrets and you'd do nothing but love him more.

Love?

He could not help his racing mind, imagining things he had denied even wanting before. How he would've told you the truth about your friend Eleanor and apologized had he not been trapped inside of his own creation, or you and him both presenting STEM to the world and opening new horizons, or settling together far away from Krimson in a cozy manor of your own. Hell, even just the thought of you helping him change his bandages every day, leaving trails of kisses on the charred skin underneath them, left him shaken, euphoric, yearning.

He had to get out.

██████, ██████, ██████. Beautiful ██████. He could never find anyone more perfect, he was sure. Made for him.

The sight of you, pressed against that door after driving Laura away. You wore an elated smile, no doubt feeling invincible. No doubt with Ruben himself in mind. You looked stunning, and he had to resist the urge to materialize and run his fingers down your bloodstained face, feeling your skin once again. Soon. Soon. Soon.

He had to let you go one more time, alone with your mind.

You looked beautiful when terrified after all.

...

When you crossed that door, you expected to meet Sebastian doing something, fighting Haunted and whatnot. Or at least traces of him ever being there. But nothing was expected in this place, and you found even more hallways. It was a little exasperating to be honest.

After all, you'd drive away anything this place threw at you, one way or another.

It was empty, however, and even as you walked forward and forward you couldn't see the end of it. No doors at the side to leave, just one way forward that kept you walking for what felt like hours. You noticed, now, that the wallpaper was torn down in pieces that grew bigger and bigger, until the walls were white and insanely clean. The floor changed from granite to expensive ceramic, and finally a door showed up in the far end. This door was metal, yet painted white, with a small window that let light through.

Blinding light that your eyes were no longer accustomed to.

"Shit" You whispered, shielding your eyes with the palm of your hand while turning the doorknob.