CHAPTER 12

And I found love where it wasn't supposed to be
Right in front of me
- I found, Amber Run

It turned out that Ellie was not too talented at skiing. She managed to turn alright and after a couple of times, she was also quite okay with the steeper bits of the trail. But as soon as there was a single bump that she did not anticipate or a little bit of ice, she would tumble and fall. After a few times, it did not even really hurt anymore and Ellie did get very good at putting on her skis and getting up quickly after a fall but that did not prevent her from falling again.

Quinn was very, very patient with her, though. She never expressed a wish to go faster and always waited for Ellie, making sure she was not hurt after yet another fall and helping her up if she needed help. Ellie felt a little bit bad for forcing Quinn to go so slow when she normally went much faster and also on more difficult trails. But the other girl assured her that it was fine and that she would not have asked Ellie to come with her if she did not want to wait for her.

They were barely even home, still cleaning their skis and shoes from the snow and ice that stuck to it after a long day of skiing when Quinn asked Ellie to go again the next day.

"Are you sure you want this?" Ellie asked back, "I was awful today."

"You were not," Quinn protested, "you're still learning. I bet I was awful at first, too."

"So you admit that I'm awful!" Ellie chuckled, "You said you were awful, too!"

Quinn joined in and threw her head back a little.

"You're a relentless little shit," she laughed, "okay, maybe you're a bit awful. But again, you're learning. And if we go skiing often, you'll come home a champion."

"I guess I don't have a choice," Ellie made a show of dramatically sighing and pretending to really think about this decision, all the while cleaning one of her skiing boots, before finally saying: "I guess I can go again tomorrow."

That earned her a playful first to the shoulder from Quinn which Ellie gave right back. Quinn fake-gasped and clutched a hand to her chest in fake-shock before diving in and practically throwing herself sideways at Ellie. The latter did anticipate a hit back but not one as powerful as this one. Since Ellie was still standing on one leg and the boots did not allow for much movement, she lost balance and plummeted into the soft snow.

"Hey!"

To get some sweet revenge, she picked up a fistful of powdery snow and threw it up at Quinn, catching her in the chest and face.

"Oh, you're going to pay for this!" Quinn announced giggly and knelt down, picking up some snow as well and thrusting it at Ellie. The other girl managed to turn her head away but the snow still caught in her brown curls. Quickly, she lunged and pushed Quinn gently but hard enough to knock her over. Quinn burst into a fit of giggles and tightly held onto Ellie's jacket, pulling the other girl with her as she fell backwards into the snow.

Suddenly, the two were very close to one another, Ellie barely managed to catch herself with her arms. She could feel Quinn's hot breath on her face, her nose mere inches from Quinn's nose. Ellie held her breath as her heart beat heavily against her ribcage. Before her brain was able to fully process to situation, she had a mouthful of snow. Quinn had secretly grabbed some snow next to her and shoved it directly into Ellie's face.

The action eased the sudden tension Ellie had felt between them but also destroyed the feeling of intimacy she had felt. But seeing how Quinn was laughing and already gathering the next handful of snow, Ellie quickly snapped out of her train of thought and got ready on revenge, too.