29

Nora sits on the bed crying into her hands

Nora sits on the bed crying into her hands. She can't bring herself to tell Charlie the results are in - because what if they're bad? Bad as in they state she isn't his daughter and every worry he's had has been true. He keeps assuring her she'll always be his but what if he changes his mind when he sees that she isn't?

Bucky quietly kneels beside her, peeling her hands from her face. "Hey now, you haven't even opened them." He says gently. "You don't know whether to cry happy or sad so we're not gonna cry at all."

She looks down at his as she hiccups, her bottom lip quivering. "Wh-what i-if-"

"No." He says firmly. "Not yet. We can face the what ifs, the buts, the ands when we know for sure. Charlie and Sue are coming over for dinner soon and we can tell them, mkay?"

Nora nods small and wraps her arms around him, clinging to him. He kisses her head and holds her as she clings like a monkey to him. "You're warm." He frowns. "Have you taken your meds?" She nods against his chest. "Eaten?" She nods again. "Let me get you a drink... darling, you've gotta let go." He chuckles.

Nor sighs and legs go, cuddling her knees as he takes the glass from the dresser and goes to fill it in the bathroom. She glances at the wall as she rests her chin on her knee. "Buck?" She calls. "What date is it today?"

"August third." He says as he comes in, handing her the cup. "Drink."

She rolls her eyes and sips it a little, still looking at the calander. "When did you come back?"

"Um, June?" He shrugs. "It all blurs sometimes."

She sets the glass down and grabs her phone, opening her tracker. "Fuck..."

Bucky frowns. "Whats up? Nor. Darling, you're scaring-"

"I think I'm pregnant." She blurts.

Buck freezes, taking a shaky breath. "Like..." He motions in a bump shape over his belly. "By me?"

Nor nods and stands, digging in her underwear drawer. "By who else?" She rolls her eyes. "Fuck, this isn't good." She grabs the last pregnancy test she had stored after she tested with Chevy.

"Why?" He frowns.

Nor looks at him. "You're... stuck with me then." She frowns. "A-and it's a baby. A bur-"

"Not a burden." He glares. "A blessing. Holy shit Nora, we could be having a baby!" He says, a smile bursting onto his face. "Go test!"

Nora smiles a little and goes to the bathroom; Bucky follows and refuses to let her close the door. "Baby. I'm peeing." She shakes her head.

"I wanna be there for all of it." He grins. "Come on!"

Nora flushes with a blush and does the deed, setting the test on the counter and washing her hands. "You're okay about this?"

Buck raises an eyebrow. "Why wouldn't I be?"

She shrugs small. "Were young-"

"Stop comparing yourself to the teenager you were. We're both legal, consenting adults in a relationship. We have a child already, even if he isn't mine. And now we're giving him a sibling, this is... its insane!" He grins.

"Could be. I could just be stressed, that makes me miss periods." She cautions. "I don't want to get your hopes up."

"So if its negative, we try again." He reasons, cupping her face. "Nora, have a baby with me." He begs.

Nora giggles small and looks over at the test. She holds it up. "I already am."

Bucky yells so loud, jumping up. He grabs Nora close and kisses her hard as she laughs, wrapping her arms around her. "We're knocked up!"

"I am! Me! I gotta push it out." She giggles, pushing him off gently. "Hold your horses dude... we've got plenty of time to be excited."

Bucky kisses her again. "I fudging love you."

"I fudging love you too." She giggles. "We better go get ready for my dad..." she realises.

James tucks her hair back. "I'm here. Beside you." He assures her.

She nods small and smiles a little. "Let's not tell anyone yet. And-and depending on the results depends on how long we keep it to ourselves."

"Whatever you want." He nods.

A little later and the steaks are almost done. Charlie and Sue sip wine at the dining room table while Nora and James dish up, carrying the plates in. They make conversation as they eat, Charlie filling Nora in on the gossip at work - not a lot really but it makes him feel included when Sue and Nora gossip.

As they sit, plates empty and happily chatting, Nora takes a deep breath. "Hey, dad?"

"Yes, hon?" He looks over from Buck, whom he was taking to.

She gets up and goes to the side board, grabbing the envelope from a drawer. She comes back and sets it on the table as Charlie frowns, leaning over to read it. His eyes widen. "Oh..."

"What is i- ah." Sue realises, taking Charlie's hand. "Shall we open it?" She asks softly.

Nora looks at her dad. "We can... or we burn it."

Charlie frowns. "Why would we? It has the answers."

"Maybe it does. Or maybe we don't need it. You're my dad, dad. Blood or not. The same way Bucky is to Chevy. The same way you are to Seth and Leah. I don't give a fuck what it says. It makes no difference to me."

Charlie smiles small. He reaches over and takes her hand, squeezing it gently. "I know. But we should find out. It doesn't change anything but we should know for sure."

Nora nods small and takes a deep breath, grabbing the envelope. She tears it open, her jaw clenched, and unfolds the paper. Her eyes scan it. "In regards to the relation of Charlie Swan and Nora Swan, it is estimated that the two share 50 percent of DNA- dad!" Nora squeals. "It's a match, you're actually my dad!"

Charlie sighs and tears, leaning over the table to hug Nora tight. She cries into him as James and Sue smile at the two, watching. This? This is everything to them both!