Chapter 11

In which our heroine has a fright

"Show yourself," Corinna hollered.

Not unsurprisingly, nothing happened.

"I think it might be advisable to go for reinforcements," Haversack said.

"Tell me, is his lordship aware of these goings-on?"

"You mean, does he know there's a prize on his head, his enemies are spreading malicious rumors, and quite a few people wish him ill simply because he isn't in the usual style? Oh, yes, I dare say he knows that. I will appraise him of the situation in due time, but I suggest for now we return to the house. These people are getting ever bolder. I didn't expect them to go as far as place spies in our midst."

The big question rising in Corinna's mind focused not only on the identity of these ill-wishers, but the number of agents who had infiltrated the premises since their number seemed to be legion.

Swift cracking noises from the coppice informed her that at least one agent seemed to be making his—or her escape.

Since the moon had shed the clouds, the visibility had improved. Apart from a distinct absence of colors in the landscape, it might have been daytime; the light was that bright, outlining every leaf in the rhododendron thicket in stark relief. A pearly smear in the East told her daytime wasn't far away.

That whoever crept around out there didn't seem to have murder on their mind—the butler and herself made excellent targets—emboldened her further.

"If you will not, I'm certainly going after that person." She swung away from Haversack and headed for the pines.

"Miss, don't." A pleading tone rang in his voice, but he didn't follow.

For sure, this was madness, but whatever fear she experienced earlier had been swallowed by anger.

Anger at a world that bounced her around like a boat on troubled waters when she only wanted to live life the way she wanted to live it.

Anger at Brewster, who sent her here.

Anger at his lordship...no, perhaps not. He was a man, but that wasn't his fault. From his actions and behavior so far, she judged him to be a decent person.

So, not his lordship, perhaps.

Anger certainly at the person crashing ahead, someone slight to judge by the speed and ease they slipped through the undergrowth, now running away from her.

Traitor, Haversack had called him. Most likely, she was pursuing Brewster's minion. He must have someone else inside the house, since he wouldn't trust her.

A branch whipped into her face and she ducked aside the same moment a mighty thrashing and yowling erupted ahead of her.

Corinna came to an abrupt halt.

It would be the epitome of embarrassing if she had been running after a fox or a wild dog all this time.

"Halloo there," she shouted. "Talk to me."

The thrashing and animal noises increased in volume, then halted. Something panted, and she heard a whimper.

Bending over to avoid the low-hanging branches, she crept along, headed for the source of the soft mewling. Lonely and desperate, it clawed at her heart.

This was no traitor, this was a wounded animal for sure.

Well, at least something good might come out of this nightly excursion. She might save something more worthy than a large part of humanity—an animal.

A rustle sounded in the bushes. The whimper died away.

There.

Close to the stem of a tall pine tree, something moved. A stray ray of moonlight highlighted a silvery strand connected to the ever-shifting mass of dark fur.

Corinna's brain, dazed by all this strangeness, had a hard time slotting together the pieces of what lay in front of her, but eventually the picture was complete.

The animal, the size of a fully grown badger, had been caught in a snare.

Badgers were bad news.

Badgers also had light coats, which this creature didn't. It was as dark as the night, with a long, fluffy tail at one end.

A growl issued from the other end, the part that would harbor the teeth.

Something green blinked.

Eyes. Whatever the creature might be, it had bright green eyes that glowed from within. They seemed familiar, somehow. She'd seen them before.

Corinna took a step backward.

The animal repeated its mewling sound that reminded her of a...of a...kitten.

The creature was much too large for a kitten, but that it sounded like one.

What a strange beast. Menacing and pathetic at the same time.

"Calm down," she said in the most soothing tone she could master. "Everything will be all right. I wish I could take your leg out of this snare, but you'll bite my hand no time, so I'd better not touch you."

The creature whined once more and flattened its body in the grass. It stuck out one leg, the metal digging deep into the fur, as if begging her to remove the snare.

The green eyes blinked once, twice.

Something deep within Corinna's chest tightened. Impossible. No way would the creature be signaling her.

The creature blinked again, three times.

Corinna crouched. No way would she get too close, but there was one thing she might try.

She ripped off a leaf and rubbed it between her fingers. The greenish fresh scent drifted into her nose and she released her consciousness to see what it would find.

Softly, gently, her mind expanded, reaching the quivering shape on the ground.

That close to her target, the images were blurred, confusing, and what she was seeing surely couldn't be there.

The shape of a human child superimposed on a small panther.

932 words/15310  image by kalh from Pixabay 

This chapter is dedicated to fellow ONC author @cocosghost whose "Asshole App" is as amazing as it is amusing!