3| They have a situation

Adedayo flipped the light switch and the lights came on to reveal his living room. He watched her as her eyes wandered the room without her making a move from where she stood. His place was no heaven. It was a room, a living room, a kitchen and bathroom. The walls were painted cream white and the floor with large squared gray tiles. A small screen T.V stood on a table with two small stereos set by each side. There was a brown two-seater couch and a single seater couch with a small wooden table in the center. The room was equally small, a curtain hanging above the door just like the one they'd walked in through.

To be honest, he barely made enough to afford a wider place and cater for his expenses as well. All this was gotten from what he'd saved up from working during the past years. Work that didn't have anything to do with teaching. This space was affordable at the time so he stuck with it. It was okay because he was alone but now, he has someone with him and it wasn't just anyone, it was a woman.

"You can have your seat." Adedayo told her and she gently took her seat, her eyes still looking around as if doing that would make her get familiar with the environment as quickly as possible.

Deep within, she was in a bit of a panic. Here she was, unable to identify herself and she calmly went home with a man she just met. Anything can happen to her and no one would find out. A huge part of her assured her nothing of such would happen but the other part made her a little more terrified.

Dayo noticed how nervously she rubbed her hands together on her laps. In that moment, it dawned on him that she was equally worried by all the possibilities of anything or everything going wrong. It had to be worse for her, not being able to remember anything and having to trust only her guts.

"Would you like a cup of water?" He asked, not quite sure what the right thing to say in the moment should be.

She nodded even though she wasn't exactly thirsty and he left his briefcase on the other couch before walking further into the kitchen. Her eyes followed him and when he was out of sight, she shut her eyes for a brief while as she took in a deep breath, releasing it at once.

It's fine. Everything's going to be fine. She told herself over and over again. She could cry, sob at her predicament but the tears weren't forthcoming. It would seem she wasn't a crier. It made her wonder what kind of person she was. What family was she from? How was her upbringing? Did she have a good childhood? What was her profession? What is she good at? What are her favourites? The more those questions went on in her head, the more she sunk into depression.

Adedayo walked back to her, holding a glass of water in his hand.

"Thank you." She appreciated it as she collected it.

He took his seat on the other couch, trying to keep a safe distance from her in other not to alarm or worsen her feelings of nervousness. In a casual manner, she drank down some of the water and afterwards held the glass with both hands above her laps. When she stole glances at him and their eyes met, she tried her best to smile, displaying a front that everything was okay.

"Um." Adedayo started, still a bit unsure of what to say. What do you say to someone in this situation? Be rest assured, I won't hurt you. Would anyone believe that right away, especially from someone you've known for just a few hours?

"I understand you're confused and scared." He continued and her gaze steadied on him. "I can promise you no harm will come to you but... you might feel a bit more nervous hearing that from a stranger." Adedayo paused, to see if there was a difference in her reaction but there was nothing except, she lowered her eyes for a few seconds.

His words were assuring even though he wasn't a hundred percent convinced about that. Nigeria was a big country. Lagos is quite tedious and stretched out. He hadn't the slightest idea where he could start from. But the look in her eyes was softer. She'd bought his words and chose to believe she'll eventually go home.