CHP 1: Figure It Out

Normani
Prairie View A&M

Honey honey
I can see the stars all the way from here
Can't you see the glow on the window pane
I can feel the sun whenever you're near
Every time you touch me I just melt away

Summer was coming to a close and I was exactly thirty-five minutes away from my first step into adulthood. The car was filled with laughter and videos as I was in the car with my family on the way to campus.
I always dreamt of going to an HBCU and Prairie View gave me just enough distance from my family to be myself. I stared out the window and watched the trees pass me by as thoughts of my future filled my mind. I looked back at the gps and saw that there was thirty minutes left. I opted to take a nap for the remainder of the time.

30 minutes later

"Mani... MANI." I jolted up at the stern tone of my mothers voice. My eyes were met with the building I would be living in for the year.

Suddenly the car door opened and my best friend Ryan was on the other side with her phone up recording me. "I know that ain't the famous lil Normani Kordei that's gracing my presences." I let out a light chuckle before I flipped my hair and posed.

"I know that ain't my bestie Ryan mother fucking Destiny." Ryan copied my previous actions and once she was done we pulled each other in a tight hug.

Ryan and I met in 7th grade, I had moved from Houston to Dallas and she was one of the first friends I met. We learned and expiernced a lot together.

"Ugh I missed you so much." She said once we pulled apart. "I already decorated my half of the room so Ill help you." I nodded my head and followed my best friend to our dorm room.

We quickly rushed to the third floor and I was met with a medium sized room.

"Ryannn, you did all this by yourself" "How long have you been here" I questioned the girl who had jumped in her bed. I sat near her while admiring the room.

Ryan gave me a look and shook her head. "Girl you know damn well I got my daddy and brother to bring all this shit." We looked at each other for a second before loading laughing with each other.

After a couple minutes we heard quick knocks before the door was slammed opened. I gasped before I rushed to the door to help my mom carry my bags.

"Momma I'm so sorry I forgot." She let out a quick mhm before my brother followed her with the remainder of my items.

"Mani, yo brothers fine as hell." I rolled my eyes at the girls hushed tone. "And they all tall with dreads." I softly slapped her shoulder before telling her the shut the hell up.

2 hours later

My family recently left to return home. Destiny and I were just chilling on my bed doing nothing.

"Mani you should've let me get at Tj" I raised my eyebrows and sat up. "Girl, he's a college football player, all he wanna do is fuck."

"Baby that is okay with me. Just give me a jersey because me and Tj want the same thing." I laughed and laid back down. I returned to scrolling on my phone before coming across a post.

STUDENTS COME OUT TO THE AUDITORIUM FOR A GET TOGETHER & OPPORTUNITY TO MEET EACH OTHER
7 - 11 PM

"Ryan bro let's go to this shit tonight." I showed her my phone screen.