Part 12 (Carl's Been Shot)

The next morning the group were getting ready to head out to look for Sophia. Rick laid out a pile of weapons on the hood of a car.

"Everybody take a weapon," he called out.

CJ took a step back and the rest all grabbed something. She already had her bow, knives and the swords she found yesterday. She also had her gun in the holster on her right leg.

"These aren't the kind of weapons we need. What about the guns?" Andrea asked.

Since the incident at the CDC, Dale had made the decision to keep Andrea's gun, which she wasn't too happy about. In a failed attempt to soften the blow, Shane made a rule that anyone who wasn't trained with a gun to hand them in for Dale to keep hold of until there was time to teach everyone. This meant that Rick, Daryl, CJ and Shane were the only ones carrying.

"We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles," Shane answered her, still looking at the map.

"It's not the trees I'm worried about," Andrea muttered back.

"Say someone fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. Then it's game over. Not just for you but for all of us," CJ responded, walking over to face the blonde. "Andrea, I get that you're hurting, okay? I understand, we all do. But I'm gonna need you to quit your sulking and get over it."

Andrea just looked at CJ for a moment, clearly pissed off at her words. She scoffed ands shook her head as she went over to the car and picked up a blade. She held it up and turned back to face CJ with a fake smile. "Happy?" she asked sarcastically.

"Overjoyed," CJ muttered, tilting her head.

CJ didn't want to argue with Andrea. As she said, she knew how she felt. Losing Amy, Dale saving her from the CDC explosion when she obviously wanted to stay behind. But finding Sophia was CJ's only concern and she didn't have time to deal with Andrea's pettiness over a gun she doesn't even know how to use.

Daryl and Rick went on to explain the plan of where they would begin their search. Once everyone was in agreement they set off, leaving Dale and an injured T-Dog on the highway to stay with the RV.

CJ was walking at the front with Daryl leading the rest, the two of them being the only ones who knew how to track. He carried his crossbow and she carried her both her knives in each hand. They were walking in silence, constantly scanning their surroundings. The quiet was eventually broken by Daryl.

"So, what's with the swords?" he asked CJ.

She chuckled a bit before she answered. "Found 'em in one of the cars. Got a little overexcited when I saw them, so naturally, I had to claim them," she finished by shrugging her shoulders with a smile.

Daryl scoffed with a small smile and shook his head. "Any deadly weapons you can't use?" he smirked as he turned his head to look at her as they walked.

"Never shot a crossbow," she said, raising her eyebrows and smiling. "How'd you get so good with it?" she asked, nodding to the weapon in his hands.

"Spent most my life hunting, just picked it up I guess."

Daryl suddenly stopped and gestured for everyone else to do the same. Through the thin shrubbery, they could see a bright yellow tent set up. It looked like it had been there a while.

"She could be in there," Shane whispered.

"Could be a whole bunch a' things in there," Daryl added.

He slowly crept forward to the tent whilst everyone else crouched down. Rick whispered to Carol to come forward. "Call out softly. If she's in there, you're is the first voice she should hear," he told her quietly.