CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

The carriage stopped, and Leyla's grip on my hand tightened. "Do you have to go?"

"I do. I'm sorry."

Her eyes watered, and cradling my face in her hands, she pulled my face in for a kiss. "I'm going to miss you." She whispered a hairsbreadth away.

"I'll miss you too." My lips went to her cheeks to kiss her tears away.

We pressed our foreheads together and stayed that way for what felt like decades.

"Before you go. I want to ask you a question." Her words came out like a breath, and she locked her eyes on mine.

"Yes."

"Can I invade your room now? Your bedroom has the biggest balcony and bathroom in the manor."

A laugh burst through my lips. "Yes, you can." She smirked. With great effort, I pulled away and reached for the door.

She took hold of my hand again. "Promise me again you'll come back."

"I will," I responded, sealing my promise with a kiss. I opened the carriage door, and when her hand wouldn't let go of mine, my head bent to kiss her knuckles, "I promise you I'll come back."

She sniffed, "You better."

"I love you."

"I love you too." After one last glance at her tear-streaked face, I closed the door, and the carriage took off.

A group of knights waited by the side of the road for the rest of the men to arrive. Some seconds later, another carriage pulled over, and an upset Fergus climbed out.

Standing by the open door, Fergus spoke to the person inside. "I love you." The carriage door slammed in response and immediately took off.

"She's not happy." He said with a sad chuckle after I approached him as he sullenly stood by the road. "She told me that if I loved the king so much to do his every bidding. I should just go and marry him."

"Emmie? Really?" Surprise colored my voice. I don't know her that well, but she seems like a person that's not capable of having high blood pressure let alone a temper.

"Have you ever heard the saying: Still waters run deep?" A smirk lifted his lips, and he arched an eyebrow. 

"Oh."

"Yeah, I'm probably going to end up cuddling my horse in the stables every night for the next couple of months." His smirk grew into a smile.

I patted his back and chuckled.

After all the generals were present, five days of walking under the burning sun, hiding from civilian eyes, and hiking in the uncomfortably humid dense forest ensued. It was a relief for all of us when we finally reached the camp erected in the shadows of the Triad Forest trees.

A man with a golden sash across his shoulders approached our group. "Supreme Commander, welcome. I'm His Majesty's, King Uriel's envoy. His majesty has sent you and your men armor and weapons for the upcoming mission."

Too tired to speak, I nodded my head.

"Hey, did his majesty send some ointment by any chance? I have blisters the size of grapefruits on my feet." Calim grimaced. "I can't wait to get these fancy shoes off. They're great for peacocking, but god awful for walking."

"Well, His Majesty sent some medical aid kits. There must be something there." The envoy suggested.

"Lead the way," Calim told the man, and he was led to a cart to the side of the camp.