CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"She fell asleep?" Calim asked as we chased the setting sun west.

"Yes, she had a rough day."

"I can imagine." He said with a sigh. "What are we going to do, Iskander? Are we just going to hide in the forest and wait for some miracle to happen? We are used to surviving in harsh conditions, but she isn't. Also, Benjamin and your household are not in the best circumstances at this moment. Since their lives are in the hands of that lunatic. In other words, we can't stay in the forest forever. We need to have a plan in mind."

"I know, I know!" Calim face twisted with hurt. "I-I'm sorry. So much has happened in such a short amount of time that it's driving me crazy right now." He kept his eyes straight ahead without saying a word. "I'm also sorry for doubting you before. If I hadn't followed you to the elderly care house, I wouldn't have found Leyla. And even if I hadn't found her there, I still should have trusted you. You've never given me a reason to mistrust you, and you've always been there for me. I was being a jerk, and due to my stupid actions, I hurt you and dragged you into this whole mess. I'm so sorry. Can you forgive your brother?"
The corners of his lips lifted. "So, are you finally accepting that you're my brother?"

A smile cracked my pained countenance. "Yeah, whatever."

"You can't take it back now."
"Uh-huh."

He laughed, "Apology accepted, little brother."

⚜⚜⚜

Moonlight glimmered down the canopy of the trees, showering us with faint light in the otherwise dark Triad Forest.

"I think we should head towards the place where the rebel encampment was set up years ago. There's a stream close by, and we can try to find something useful among the remains of the tents." My voice came as a whisper, scared to disturb the calm atmosphere.

"Yeah, sounds good."

Owls called, and unseen critters skittered away in the tall grass and high up in the trees. Startled by our unannounced visit.

Calim's silhouette moved ahead of us. "I think we're close."

"I hope so. The horses are getting ti—" The sharp, frightened cry of Calim's horse pierced the night's quietude.

"Jade, what's wrong?" Calim's hand lowered to pat its neck as it nervously backed up.

"Dismount right now!" A voice shouted from the shadows. "You're surrounded." The sound of swords pulled from their sheaths cut the once peaceful forest with uncomfortable tension.

"Who are you?" Calim asked, raising his hands above his head.

"Dismount!"

"What's going on?" Leyla's soft voice drifted to my ears.

"Don't worry, everything is going to be alright. Let's get off the horse." Kicking my leg back and over my horse, I jumped to the ground. "Come on, let's get you down."

"Hands up!" A voice behind me commanded, and we complied.

A group of men with covered faces and dark clothing stepped into the moon's pale glow. Two, four, six. There are six of them. If only I could reach my sword. Leyla shivered beside me. No, she will get caught in the middle and get hurt.

Hands patted through my under armor. Taking hold of daggers, knives, and everything but the lint at the bottom of my pockets.

"Why are you guys so deep in the forest?" Another voice asked.

"We are avoiding an unjust trial," Calim responded.

"In other words, you're running away from the king's knights. Am I right?" At the lack of response, another shrouded figure asked, "What did you guys do?"