Chapter 5. Two to Make One

Aspen

I walk out of the gym. The hot air smacking me in the face.

"Hey, Rhodes!" I turn my head at the mention of my name. Skylar comes walking towards me, his chocolate colored skin glowing in the sunlight.

"Hey Anderson, whatcha need?" I ask, adjusting my gym back on my shoulder.

"You got any athletic tape? My ankle's bothering me. Saw you walking out so I figured I'd ask." He says.

"Um, I might." I zip open the black bag, digging around until I spot a roll of white athletic tape. "Here."

"Thank God. You're the best Rhodette."

"No problem. Hey, take it easy in there. I don't wanna be playing with St. Claire anymore then I have to. He may be good but, he's not as good as he likes to act." I say and he nods.

"For real. He'll get his ass handed to him one of these days." He says and I chuckle. "Is it okay if I give this back at practice tomorrow?"

"Yeah, that's fine."

"Cool. Don't know what I'd do without you Rhodes."

"I know." I smile cheekily. "I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow man." I say, patting his shoulder.

"See ya Rhodes." He yells from behind me.

I make my way to the little diner I was meeting Asher for lunch.

"Have you told Mom and Dad about the draft yet?" Asher asks, shoving a fry in his mouth.

"No. I don't really want to tell them that over the phone. I figured, they're gonna be here in just another week or two, why not just wait a little longer and tell them then." I say and he nods.

"Sounds good. Oh yeah, Adelaide called so Annie could talk to me. Apparently her boyfriend broke up with her and she needs me to go beat his ass." He says, chuckling.

I laugh, "That little shit. We'll just teach her how to do it herself. She doesn't need a man to protect her."

"A brother is different than "a man"." He says, putting air quotes around the last words.

"Yeah. A brother is annoying."

"So is any man!"

"At least you know it." I say, taking a tip of my soda. "Tell her next time she needs to ask me."

"I'm surprised she didn't ask Dad." He says, shrugging his shoulders. "She didn't actually sound upset about it, more so, I think she just wanted to say the word 'ass'." He says and I almost choke on my drink.

"Oh shit, she actually said "beat his ass"? I thought that part was just you."

"Yep she said it. That's what we get for leaving her with the twins." He says.

I laugh, "That's hilarious. I wonder how Mom felt about that."

"Probably smacked 'em upside the head." He chuckles.

"As she should."

*

"Hey Sis." My dad's voice echoes through my car speakers.