14

"What's a barber?"—————————

"What's a barber?"
—————————

Thunder rumbled over our heads as Hermione and I hopped off of the Hogwarts Express. She bundled that asshole that she refers to as a cat, Crookshanks, into her cloak and I pulled my robes up over my head to try and protect my hair. Our heads were bent and our eyes were narrowed against the rain while we took long strides to escape the downpour.

The rain drops were so thick and so fast that it felt like someone had cast a charm to dump buckets of ice water over our heads.

"For fuck's sake, this is ridiculous!" I cursed while I stomped in the puddles on the platform.

"I don't know how you talk like that all the time. You curse like a sailor." Hermione grimaced and I felt a playful smirk spread on my face.

"Fuck, shit, bitch, motherfucker, cunt-"

"Ruby!" She scolded while she bumped our shoulders. "Honestly, it's not very ladylike!" She tried to remain serious, but her smile started to reflect mine.

"Since when do you care about being ladylike?" I laughed, and her cheeks burned red as her eyes flickered towards Ron who walked much farther ahead of us with the other Gryffindor boys we were friends with. I pretended not to notice as she continued.

"I just feel like it's not appropriate." She stuttered, turning her attention forward again. "Hi, Hagrid!" She changed the topic swiftly as we approached the giant man that stood at the far end of the platform.

"All righ', 'Mione? Ruby?" He bellowed back as he waved, and we nodded while we continued moving out of the rain. "See yehs at the feast if we don' drown!" He yelled after us.

"Oooh, I wouldn't fancy crossing the lake in this weather." Hermione shivered, while we moved with the crowd.

"There's a lot of things I wouldn't fancy right about now." I grumbled, my shoes starting to flood with water and my socks squishing. I cringed from the feeling and tried to push it to the back of my brain.

"Harry being one of them?" She teased, and I let out a long sigh. "I was kidding, Ruby. Unless you finally aren't fancying him? Do you really still not fancy him? Or want to not fancy him, I suppose?" She asked seriously.

"Well, I... I wasn't sold on it I guess. And then the incident happened. I hurt him horribly, and I felt awful about it for days. Then he just pulled that dramatic screaming match in the compartment, and it felt like we were in a relationship all over again because I know all of that anger stemmed from his jealousy... and then," I inhaled a deep breath as I stopped in my tracks, Hermione turned to look at me.

"What?" She asked out of confusion.

"Then he asked me to help him find someone else... for him to date." I said slowly as I stared down at the ground in front of me. I felt indifferent. "It should hurt more, right? If I really wanted to still be with him, wouldn't... wouldn't I feel jealous?" I asked her with furrowed brows. She let out a long breath through her nose as other students moved around our stilled bodies. She pinched the bridge of her nose for a moment before she threw her hand back down.