Chapter Sixteen

My eyes fluttered open, and I blinked several times to bring my vision into focus.

A low groan left my mouth and my head felt heavy. It took me some moments to realize I'd slept at my study table again.

I pushed my forehead back and turned to check if mother had come back from the hospital.

But just as I whirled my head sideways, a face stared right back at me, making me jump in surprise.

Wait, that's...me?

My brain started to blank in panic as I scanned my surroundings and became conscious of the fact that I wasn't in our room.

The lighting was dimmed and the only bright source of light was coming from the front counter where someone in a pale colored uniform was standing with their back to me.

I had fallen asleep.

Shoot.

My sight fell upon a man at the other end of the dimly lit room who had been watching me for who knew how long. The expression of disgust and hatred plastered across his face had my stomach tightening in worry.

And we just happened to be the only customers.

I quickly turned to look out the glass wall and found the parking lot empty and dark.

My palms turned sweaty. I searched for my phone with that deep crack from the bathroom incident. But when I tapped the home button, the only thing I got was the no-battery icon.

It's dead? But I was sure I'd charged it enough before leaving the apartment. Maybe the battery got messed up because of that fall. Camilla, you witch!

I proceeded to rummage around for my charger but couldn't find it anywhere. Did I even bring it with me? I couldn't remember.

In the process of fretting over my predicament, I looked at my wristwatch and felt like getting punched in the gut, becoming aware of how late it had gotten.

How did I sleep for so long?

Ya Allah... I'd hardly find any means of transportation until the morning.

My blood turned cold and I closed my eyes to recompose myself, practicing my breathing when I abruptly remembered someone.

Joseph. Where was Joseph?

I pried my eyes open and scrutinized the whole place. He was nowhere to be seen. My heartbeats quickened and I swallowed in distress. Did he leave me here?

Just as this horrifying thought entered my head, my attention fell on the chair across and immediate relief washed over me when I realized his backpack was still there.

Joseph didn't leave me.

Although that fact calmed me a little, my nerves were still getting entangled into knots. I decided to walk up to the front counter and called the staff member.

He turned around and his gaze lingered on my head a little longer - on my hijab. I asked him if he knew where the person who was with me went. He made a slightly displeased face and shot a rough 'no' at me.

His blunt reply and curt tone indicated that he did not want to converse but I pushed my luck and asked if there was a charger available for my phone, just to get another miffed 'no'.

Because of his forthright hostility, I couldn't bring myself to ask him to use the back room to make up for my missed Esha prayer anymore.

Ultimately, I regretted talking to him. But who was I kidding? Being a visible Muslim and different than the rest, I should always be prepared for hostility.