Chapter Eleven

You know that moment when something happens and your mind just goes blank? That's what I was going through.

I mean sure, a police car patrolling the neighborhood wasn't something to be startled by - unless you had blood on your hand from a possible assault weapon and your flight or fight mode decides that becoming a statue was the best option.

In addition, I was a hijab-wearing Muslim. Meaning, I was in deep trouble and would probably be the first one to be suspected, although I had nothing to do with this fight.

While I was busy making up dreadful scenarios about my future in prison, commotion broke out behind me and everyone was forced to get out of there, leaving me rooted to the ground.

Silence followed as I continued to gape at the approaching vehicle, completely frozen, when the sound of footsteps coming back pierced through my hazy mind and a loud voice bombarded.

"Are you kidding me?! Why the hell are you still standing there? Let's get out of here already!"

"Huh?"

Before I had the chance to comprehend those rushed words, I felt Joseph's fingers wrapping around my hand in a firm hold and pulling me off my feet.

My body flung forward and a surprised gasp escaped my lips. Joseph tightened his grip, tugging me to run faster. Trees and houses blurred past us as we sprinted down the road.

I moved my disoriented gaze to our interlocked fingers and blinked. Everything was happening too fast. My heart hammered unsteadily and my pulse continued to pound against my skull, growing stronger with each step we took as I tried to keep up with Joseph. Slow down a bit, long legs!

We kept running, for who knows how long, until Joseph abruptly took a sharp turn and jumped into a random front yard. He yanked me down on the other side of the fence and we both collapsed next to each other with a grunt.

I gasped for air, clutching my stomach tightly and hunching over. My forehead touched the rough grass and I clenched my eyes shut. I'd run like my life had depended on it. Maybe because it actually did.

I drew a lungful of air which made a loud wheezing sound. An amused laugh echoed nearby. "You okay?"

My jaw locked and I shot my head up to glare at him. "Do I look like I'm—" Joseph moved at the same time I raised my head and my nose slammed against his hard shoulder. "Aggh!"

"Now you're definitely not okay."

Clutching my nose, I drew a deep breath before my eyes opened to shoot daggers at Joseph. He put his brass knuckles in his pocket and casually stretched his arms. "Well, that was some good exercise."

"Are you kidding?" My voice shook in rage. He seemed so carefree about the whole situation. "That was the most reckless and stupidest thing anyone could ever do!"

He raised an eyebrow, examining my disheveled state. Slowly, the corner of his lips curved up. "Wow. You really have such a low stamina."

"Shut up!" I croaked out, still glaring at him through my squinted eyes. "Do you realize what we just did?" I attempted to change the topic and threw my hands up. "We're basically criminals on the run!"