Chapter Six

"Jayden?" I called, knocking on the caravan door.

But no one opened.

I noticed the large metal door of the auto service building was open.

"Jayden?" I called again, looking around the huge garage full of vehicles.

"Yes." He rolled himself out from underneath the car in front of me a second later. "Hey, stranger. I didn't expect to see you again."

I looked down at him. "Hey. I came to apologize. I'm sorry for my reaction yesterday." As I spoke, he got on his feet. He was dressed in dark blue work overalls; his hair was tousled, and his hands were all black. "I thought... that you and the girl were a couple, and I overreacted. I met her today, by the way. She is very kind. Anyway, I'm really sorry that I called you... you know... a bastard."

Jayden wiped his forehead with the back of his hand, leaving black smears in its wake. "Apology accepted."

"Well, what's the catch?"

He pulled a towel from his pocket and wiped his hands, though they remained black. "What do you mean?"

"You protected me and helped me without even knowing me. I saw how kind you are and how you help Evelyn. Carmen told me what you did for her. In her words, you are their hero. Come on! Nobody is that perfect! So, what's the catch?"

Jayden leaned against the car's hood and put his hands in his pockets. "I don't think lending a hand to someone or helping them is heroic. That is normal and human. And trust me, I'm far from perfect. So, there is no catch, Savi."

I smiled slightly as I stood staring at him, watching his lips move as he spoke.  For some reason, my heart began pounding faster.

Jayden narrowed his eyes questioningly. "What is it, stranger?"

"You have"—I pointed to my forehead—"something on your face." I ran a finger across my cheek. "Here too..." Then I walked up to him and touched his cheek. "And here. Its—"

"Dirty. I know. My work is dirty," he replied quietly, not moving his gaze from mine.

"It's sexy."

Jayden parted his lips slightly as if to say something but didn't.

I closed my eyes and whispered, "Did I say that out loud?"

"Yes."

I opened my eyes again but was looking at the ground. "I shouldn't have. I have a bad habit of saying whatever is on my mind."

"That's sexy too." Jayden grabbed my chin and lifted my face until our eyes met again. Then he caressed my cheek with the back of his fingers. "And now you're dirty too."

I started breathing heavily. His body was so close to mine. "Jayden, that..."

"You can go if you want," he said the words between deep breaths.

I reached for him uncertainly, as if I were fighting myself, and placed my fingertips on his lips. "I don't want to go."

He lifted me into the air, put me on the car's hood, and stood between my legs. He gently pulled my hair back and brought his lips to my ear, whispering, "I'm glad. Because I don't want you to go either."

Then he slowly moved his face to mine. Our lips brushed, pressed, parted. As he moved his kisses down, I lifted my head to expose my throat. I wrapped my arms around his neck. Soft moans escaped my mouth.

The pleasure of his touch spread throughout my body and captured all my senses.

Gentle and slow.