Chapter Twenty-Seven

"I love you, stranger." Jayden's voice echoed in my head. "I know you're married, Savi. I knew it from the beginning. When I looked into your eyes, I saw the truth. You were not an illusion. You were an angel. A broken angel that had fallen right into my arms."

I was driving at breakneck speed. I didn't even look at the odometer. I had to drive fast so that I didn't give up.

The memories continued running through my mind, accompanied by questions.

Was Jayden really okay? Perhaps it was better that I hadn't seen him wake up. If I had seen him, or hugged him, or kissed him, I would never have had the courage to leave.

What had Carmen told him? Would he ever be able to forgive me in his heart? Or would he hate me forever?

But there was only one important thing at that moment—Jayden's life. That was all I had to think about.

After hours of driving, I arrived at my destination. There was no going back.

I parked in front of the house. I hadn't thought I would ever return.

But it was my only choice. Jayden had survived—this time. But I didn't want to think about how much worse it could be next time. I had no intention of testing how much further Dominic was willing to go.

When I'd left this house months ago, I'd thought my life was over. After that, I met the person who showed me how to truly live. And at that moment, as I stood on the doorstep again, I knew what it really meant for my life to end.

But I had to accept once again the role from which there was apparently no escape.

I slowly approached the door and rang the bell. It was past 5:30 p.m., and I presumed that Dominic would be at home already.

Seconds later, the massive brown wooden door opened.

"Look who it is," said an all-too-familiar voice—a voice of the man I had prayed I would never meet again.

I went inside and started punching Dominic in the chest. "Monster! Jayden almost died because of you!"

He took my hands and squeezed them tightly. "Should I care about your lover, Savannah? Why would I? Did you come to fight?"

"I didn't come to fight," I replied, almost without a voice, as I looked down at the ground. "I'm coming back... to you."

Dominic let go of my hands and stroked my face. "Smart girl."

It was not a loving touch—it was victorious.

"On one condition," I added. "You'll promise that you'll leave Jayden alone."

Dominic chuckled. "You're in no position to give me conditions, Sav. But"—he reached over and closed the door behind me—"to show you that I'm not the monster you think I am, fine. You have my word that I won't screw up the mechanic anymore."

I closed my eyes. No matter how hard I tried to stop it, a tear fell and slid down my cheek. "Swear."

"I gave you my word! Now take those clothes off." Dominic fingered my hair like he was touching something dirty. "And do something with that hair."

"Okay," I agreed without protesting.

I went up the stairs and entered the bedroom. It felt so foreign and empty, although it was full of expensive and shiny things.

The feeling of being there again was so strange. It was so unpleasant.

I took off my clothes and went into the bathroom. I ran my hand over the turquoise marble counter and stopped in front of the mirrors.