Chapter Twenty-Seven

Today was the day Bethany and her mother were leaving. Ronald wasn't able to see them off, so he sent his mother instead.

The former queen walked with grace and elegance towards them, and greeted her mom with an embrace. Bethany was surprised and watched the encounter.

She turned towards Bethany, "My sweet darling, come here, why do you stand far off?" Bethany approached, unsure of herself. "Say darling, it was only a few days ago I learnt of your title. How come you and Ronald never spoke of it?" Dumbfounded and unsure how to respond, Bethany looked to her mother for help.

Her mother was about to speak up, but the former queen spoke once more. "It is quite surprising, I must say. Though I do have to admit,  I did wonder why your father frequented our castle so often. Why he put up with my husband and his schemes. It makes more sense, knowing such a jewel was amongst us. I had a sense about you, you were not ordinary, no." She shook her head and studied Bethany as if to understand how she missed it this whole time.

To be fair, no one could have been the wiser. It was a best kept secret between the king and her mother.

They spoke some more on the surprising news, and after some time the former queen leaned in to give a farewell kiss on Bethany's cheek, leaving her speechless. Then before Bethany thought the better of it, she embraced her. Even when she was just a mere servant, she never opposed Bethany in any way. She was a jewel in this kingdom.

Bethany's gratitude spilled over and it couldn't be contained. The former queen, now satisfied with being caught up to speed with the latest plans and news, bade them farewell.

The horses were drawn, the carriage awaited. Their belongings, packed and ready. Bethany paced the floor while her mother went off, last minute, to speak to the chef who would be taking her place in the palace kitchen.

Mother was meticulous with every detail. Careful not to leave out any detail that might be important. Bethany only listened for a moment before her mind began to wander. And her nerves buzzed with anticipation.

"Mi'lady, everything is ready, your mother awaits in the carriage." A man interrupted her thoughts, jolting Bethany into the present. What? How did she not hear or see her leave Bethany side?

She blushed, "I'm sorry, I wasn't being attentive. Thank you." She rushed out of the main castle doors in an unladylike manner, to the waiting carriage.

A nice gentleman helped her up, and into the enclosed carriage. Once inside, Bethany sighed with relief. They would be on their way.

Caught off guard by the carriage's interior, Bethany looked about, noticing the sheer delicate privacy curtains, the soft velvet that lined their seats, the gold details here and there. It seemed her mother was just as taken aback.

The soft cushions surrounded her, and she felt almost no jostling when the carriage began to move.

Her mother spoke first, "Well this is something that we are not accustomed to." A smile wrinkle appeared, and her eyes lit up in delight. Bethany's heart squeezed, her mother deserved this and so much more.

One thing that didn't cross her mind. What would this mean for her mother? This trip wouldn't be a pleasant one for her. Memories from the past were bound to resurface, giving her undue grief. "Mother, if you do not wish to accompany me, I would understand entirely." Even though they were already moving, Bethany wanted to give her a chance to back out.

Her mother placed a reassuring hand on her knee. "I never dreamed your father would do this for you. I very much desire to be there for such a moment. Nothing, and no one will stop me. I will accompany you, you needn't concern yourself about me."