Chapter 15 - It happened

I wake up at the end of the movie, curled up next to Wylan. There is a blanket covering my body and the sound of giggling coming from another room. I sit up, turning to the boy on my left.

"Where is everyone?"

"They are in the hallway. Dan just came over." Wylan smiles warmly at me.

We are completely alone in the living room.

"Why are you here?" That sounds harsher than I intended it to be.

"You feel asleep leaning on me. I couldn't get up and wake you." His eyes are welcoming and remind me of something solid you can hold on to during a storm. His whole personality is like that.

"Thank you." I say and blush.

"Davis, you're awake." Dan steps in the living room smiling but eyes Wylan suspiciously when he sees us so close. I jump of the couch, even though I didn't do anything wrong. It's just a reflex my father taught me. I keep thinking I am doing something wrong or something that may displease him.

"You two got comfortable." His gaze is full of accusation, like I could forget what he said to me.

"No, we didn't." I shake my head with a smile.

"In that case, I have a surprise for you."

Dan whistles and the sound of little paws hitting the floor is coming closer and closer. Austin sprints in the room and starts jumping in happiness.

"You brought him!"

I sit on the floor so I am closer to Austin, which makes him even happier and he starts wiggling his tail so hard, it might just fall off.

"That dog really loves you."

"Well, I am a lovable person."

"That you are." Says Wylan from the couch. He gets up to great Austin, and my dog directs all the attention towards him.

Two familiar faces show up at the door, as Jack and Myles smile at me. Irina comes right after, looking happy and giggling, Matt and Noah following her. The second boy looking morbid as always, but with one small difference. He is shooting warning glances at Myles. In fact, all three brothers are.

"Did I miss something?" I lean in and whisper to Dan.

He whispers back, "Since we came, Myles can't take his eyes off Irina. I think Noah is silently plotting how to kill him."

"Not so hard to believe."

I might have said that a little to loud because Jack heard me. "What is not hard to believe?"

"Nothing, nothing."

"Can I please take Austin for a walk, Laken?" Irina asks, already holding a leash.

"Why isn't the dog staying with you in the first place?" Jack asks. Myles is silent as always, carefully observing Irina.

"Because dad won't let us." Noah grunts.

"To answer you," I look at Irina, "Sure, take him for a walk."

She excitedly squeals, which makes Austin howl consequently, and Myles smiling.

"Come, boy." The dog gets all excited because of a leash and a promise of a walk like always.

"Someone should go with her." Wylan points out seriously.

"I'm perfectly capable..."

"It's not you Iry." Matt says. He looks at me. "There is just a situation and you can't go out alone."