Chapter Fifteen

For the next week or so I was almost completely bedridden. Every movement caused sharp pains in my stomach and chest. I'm almost positive that Wheaton cracked at least one of my ribs in his effort to get rid of the pregnancy. I stayed downstairs on my mattress while Wheaton brought me food every day, but thankfully that was all he did. The reprieve from sex almost made all the pain worth it, almost.

Eventually I was back on my feet and Wheaton returned to his nightly advances, but now he would at least wear a condom. After a while of this Wheaton had managed to get a hold of some birth control that he ordered me to take regularly. He didn't need to insist as the last thing that I wanted was this monster's child growing inside of me.

Some time passed like that; Wheaton chained me up downstairs, let me come up for dinner and for bed, then returned me to the basement before he left for work in the morning. It was the same thing every day. I could feel my sanity slipping as the boredom became unbearable. I begged Wheaton for puzzles, new books, anything to distract myself. I couldn't stay with my thoughts too long because then they always wandered to my mother and Quinn. I daydreamed about being back with them; we would go to the park and eat a picnic, my mom would cook her amazing meatloaf, Quinn and I would sit on the couch and talk about our hopes and dreams for the future. It was nice to be away from the basement, away from Wheaton for a little bit, even if it was only in my head. But reality always came crashing right back down, harder to swallow than ever.

Even if by some miracle I made it out of here alive, it would never be the same. I was dirty, tainted. I couldn't face my loved ones knowing all the filthy things I had done with Wheaton, the sacrifices I'd made to survive.

But I had to think about going back to them. It was the only thing I had to hold on to, the vague hope that one day I could escape. No, I would escape. It was inevitable that Wheaton would make a mistake, but I couldn't risk trying to leave without a solid plan. If I failed not only would he punish me severely, but he would just become more suspicious and watch me even closer. This meant no more peeking through curtains. I had to wait until just the right moment, when the universe would align and I could run, even if that meant killing Wheaton.

One day in March over dinner Wheaton announced he was going on a work trip to a conference.

"I'll be gone for five days so I'm having Ben come over to keep an eye on you," he said, chewing the Italian beef he had made that evening. Terror seized me at the idea of having to spend more time with that beast of a man. I think I might've hated him just as much as I hated Wheaton. I'd never be able to forget how he brutalized me in the forest that night or the sensation of his teeth sinking into my flesh to mark it forever.

"Please, can't you take me with you," I begged, putting down my silverware. "I'll be good, I promise. Don't make me stay with Ben." I also knew that if he took me with him I might have an opportunity to escape, but Wheaton knew this too.

"I don't know, Reyna. Going out in public is a huge step. Can I really trust you?" he asked, but I nodded.

"Yes, I'll do everything you say, and I won't cause a scene," I pleaded, praying that he fell for it. To my relief he smiled.

"It could be fun. I'd have to rent a motel room instead of staying at the hotel the conference is in. Would you make such an inconvenience worth it to me?" He posed the question in his usual condescending way.

"Yes, I'll do anything!" I promised hastily but realized if I made myself look too desperate, Wheaton would never believe I wouldn't try and escape.

"Why do you want to go with me so bad? Do you hate Ben that much?" he said. I nodded.

"I do hate him, but also I'm so bored here. At least traveling would change it up a little," I said, speaking the truth for the most part.

"Alright, I'll figure the logistics out. You can come," he said and my heart soared. Then he pointed his dinner knife at me threateningly. "But if you do anything to cause trouble or make me even think you're trying to escape, I will kill you and then go after your mother and Quinn." My stomach dropped. I'd never heard him make a serious threat like this. He had never openly endangered my loved ones before, and he rarely mentioned killing me. Was he serious? I swallowed through the lump in my throat.