11. An Executioner's Lament

"A dog that kills is no different whether it weeps after or not

"A dog that kills is no different whether it weeps after or not. Your guilt will not purify you."

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Cassandra Baratheon, now the lady of Storm's End, stood in the courtyard of her home, surveying the horizon. The knight in front of her whom she had spared the wrath of her friend's beast dropped to one knee before her with a graceful flourish, bowing his head in a gesture of reverence.

"Lady Cassandra," he began, his voice steady and unwavering, "I pledge my sword and my life to you. From this day forth, I swear to honour and protect you with all that I am."

A soft laugh escaped Cassandra's lips, a hint of amusement dancing in her eyes as she regarded the knight before her. "Ser Reynard," she replied with a playful smile, "you always did have a flair for the dramatic."

"I...do my best, my lady."

"Of course you do. And I suppose I could do worse than having you as my sworn protector."

"You will not regret it."

"I know I won't. You know I don't make wagers when the odds aren't in my favour," she nodded, a smirk lifting the edges of her lips. "I knew I liked you for a reason."

Ser Reynard's expression softened at her words, a hint of pride shining in his eyes as he rose to his feet. "I am at your service, my lady," he said earnestly, "whatever you may need, I shall endeavour to provide."

"You better."

As they turned to make their way back into the castle, Cassandra's satisfaction was short-lived as she was met with her sister's fiery gaze and even sharper tongue. Maris Baratheon stood at the entrance, her arms crossed over her chest, her expression one of undisguised anger.

"Are you fucking insane?"

"I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific, dear sister."

"You...you killed him. You killed Father!" Maris's voice dropped into a furious whisper, eyes darting around as her hand closed around her sister's bicep in a vicelike grip. 

Cassandra scoffed, sending a cursory glance toward the charred corpses that still littered their grounds, "I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. I had nothing to do with that."

"Liar! You really expect me to believe-"

"I do actually. You are now in the presence of the head of our house. I do hope I do not have to remind you of your manners again, Maris. What happened was surely a great tragedy, but this is what happens."

"What happens when one murders their father!"

"No, what happens when one breaks an oath," Cassandra corrected with a magnanimous smile. "Father broke an oath, and he paid the price with his life. I do not intend to make the same mistake."