18. The Suffering of Desire

"Tonight, with intensity I imagine that you are able to love me enough to desire to come back for me—enough to think of me with this heartbreak that is often in me when I think of you

"Tonight, with intensity I imagine that you are able to love me enough to desire to come back for me—enough to think of me with this heartbreak that is often in me when I think of you. And I am overwhelmed."

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

In the days that followed the harrowing events within the Red Keep, chaos descended upon its once-hallowed halls like a shroud of despair. The air was thick with tension, heavy with the weight of grief and guilt that hung over the inhabitants like a storm cloud threatening to unleash its fury at any moment.

Helaena Targaryen now resembled a ghost haunting her chambers, her eyes dulled with anguish and self-reproach. She refused to eat or bathe, and she remained ensconced within the confines of her chambers, withdrawing from the world outside as if seeking refuge from the horrors that had befallen her. She could no longer stand to look upon her remaining children, Maelor in particular, as she grappled with the knowledge that she had purposely condemned her own flesh and blood to a gruesome fate. She had chosen for him to die, and in doing so, she had lost both her sons. 

Meanwhile, Aegon raged with great ferocity, his demeanour twisted into a snarl of bitterness and fury. He sought solace in the bottom of his cups, drowning his sorrows and fury in a sea of wine and spirits that offered temporary respite. Thus left with no other recourse, the dowager queen took charge of her remaining grandchildren, raising them as her own with their parents indisposed. 

And then there was the one-eyed prince, ablaze with righteous fury as he stalked the streets of King's Landing like a vengeful spectre. His temper was short, his patience worn thin by the weight of his grief and the burning desire for justice that consumed him from within. He prowled the underbelly of the city like a hunting hound on the scent of its quarry, prone to violence in his questioning as he did so. 

When finally the news that one of the murderers had been apprehended at the Gate of the Gods trying to leave King's Landing reached him, he wasted no time in making his way there to intercept the wretched man. 

The murderer was large and hulking, standing shackled and defiant, a sneer twisting his lips as he met the one-eyed prince's gaze head-on. Upon being searched, the head of Prince Jaehaerys was found in one of his saddlebags, and Aemond felt a surge of revulsion, his fists clenched tight at his sides as he struggled to contain his rage. It would do no good to tear him limb from limb out in the open, and it would be a mercy. No, such a man deserved a far more painful fate. 

The man was sent to the black cells, and it was here, in the bowels of the Red Keep, that Aemond Targaryen confronted him, this time free to let loose the depravity that had been brewing inside of him for far too long. Alicent, the only coherent witness to the assassination, had recounted the whole tale to him in great detail, so he took great satisfaction in the fact that the man they had caught had been to deal the killing blow.