we've got our 'captain'

another day of hockey practice and another day where orion doesn't feel the need to attend. "if he was gonna drag us here and practically force us on a team, don't you think it's only fair if he shows up at least once in awhile?" scarlett rolled her eyes as her and aspen walked out of the locker room.

"no, because he gave me a whistle." she smiled, holding up the whistle in her hand. "now i'm like, official." she beamed, about to blow the whistle. scarlett snatched it from her and held it up until aspen promised not to blow it.

"no orion again?"

"this is ridiculous."

"don't worry guys, we've got our captain."

"how could i forget?"

scarlett bit her tongue, not even wanting to waste her breath on fighting back. even though they didn't act as bad on the ice, off the ice was just pure hell.

"guys, come on. she's a good captain and you know it." scarlett's eyes widen as she heard adam's voice. "she's made us all better within a span of three days. we don't have to get along but can we just lay off of her?"

scarlett held herself back from smiling. that was actually really nice considering she dramatically and pettily stormed away from him the other day. her and aspen pretended they didn't hear anything and skated out onto the ice, shooting around.

everyone skated onto the ice and scarlett had to brace herself for the hell that this practice was going to be.

-

surprisingly, practice was not that bad. and also surprisingly, that was a because of adam.

the boy would defend scarlett anytime someone said something. he would help her out when she got stressed. that happened a lot—scarlett getting overwhelmed at practice. all of the insults and interruptions while she was just trying to do her job made her chest feel heavy.

she would have to actually walk away from everyone and take a couple deep breaths on the other side of the rink.

the only one adam couldn't control was charlie. but it'd be a miracle if anyone would be able to do that. when that boy has an opinion he sticks to it. he was not budging from the fact that he did not want scarlett as his captain.

everyone left the locker room and it was just scarlett and adam. it seemed like they were all the last two. scarlett didn't know if everyone rushed out or if the two just went slow on purpose.

"thank you." she mumbled, her back facing him as she placed everything into her bag. she had to thank him for what he did, it made everything a lot easier on her.

adam turned around not thinking she was talking to him. he looked around and no one else was there besides them and his eyebrows furrowed. thank him? for what? "for what?" he asked like an idiot.

she laughed quietly and turned to face him. that made him feel even more like an idiot. "for today. for helping me out with everything. you didn't have to, but you did, and it helped a lot." she explained with a shrug.

"oh," he said quietly. he just thought what everyone was doing was rude. he would've helped anyone out, honestly. it wasn't fair or right. "no problem." the two grabbed their bags and walked out of the door.

"it's not very fair how everyone treats you when you're just trying to help them. i don't know why they can't just stop acting so immature and realize what they're doing wrong." he shook his head. this looked like something that was honestly bothering him, it made scarlett smile.

"i'm used to it at this point. most of it just goes over my head. but sometimes it all just gets to be too much." scarlett shrugged as they walked down the hallways.

"you're aloud to feel overwhelmed. trust me if i was in your position i'd probably not even show up to practice some days and let everyone private by themselves. but you don't. you always show up and you always try, no matter how much shit everyone is giving you. that's what makes you a real captain." adam said making scarlett think. he was kind of right.

"wow, who knew adam banks could give such good advice?" scarlett joked, lightening things up.

"i didn't even know either. that was actually very surprising." adam said making the two laugh. "but seriously, don't let it bother you." he said finally as the two came to where they have to separate.

"i'll try." scarlett sighed. "thank you again, banks." she smiled before walking to the girls dorms.

adam smiled to himself, he finally didn't mess up a conversation. this was a big step for him.

-

shorter chapter because i have so many tests coming up and i'm going to literally fail them all

i stared editing an old adam book that i think im going to publish and put the other one on hold. it has more parts already made so it'd get done quicker.