Chapter 14

Chapter 14

As I walk through the bustling city streets, the towering buildings loom above me, casting shadows over the crowded sidewalks. The concrete and glass structures stretch up into the sky, seeming to touch the clouds themselves. There was the typical morning rush of people, all somehow engrossed in their own stress yet still manage to seem in solidarity.

The constant hum of car engines and the chatter of people fills my ears, and the smell of exhaust fumes and street food fills my nostrils. The city is alive, pulsing with energy and activity. feel small and insignificant amidst the towering buildings, but at the same time, I am invigorated by the vibrant atmosphere.

It is something that helps me every morning. Seeing people alive and so awake reminds me that I am not an empty vessel in my dad's world. I can make something of myself, and I can be one of them.

Good morning, Diane!" I called out as I walked through the doors of the office building. Diane sat at her desk; her blonde hair pulled back into a neat bun. She wore a crisp white blouse and black pants, and a friendly smile graced her lips as she greeted me. Her desk was organized and tidy, with a computer screen and a stack of papers neatly arranged on its surface. A nameplate sat in the corner, identifying her as the receptionist.

Despite the busy atmosphere of the office, Diane seemed calm and collected, a reassuring presence amid the chaos. Even though she was one of the workers here, my trust towards her only extended as far as I could throw her. But somehow, our small friendship has worked in my favour.

My dad enjoyed the illusion that his daughter was playing friends with his on and off fling and it added to the image that I was fully integrate in his circle. I even asked her for drinks after work a couple of times in front of my dad – for added spice.

Diane looked up from her desk and greeted me with a warm smile. "Good morning, Ellie! How was your weekend?"

I shrugged and grinned. "It was good, thanks. Just busy as usual."

I glanced around the lobby as I made my way to the elevator. The walls were painted a pale grey colour with expensive art hanging off the walls. There a few of my dad's closest aides – also known as his guards, coming in and out of the lobby.

Diane followed my gaze and .grimaced. "They've been doing that since the morning. Good riddance to the dead."

I nodded, stifling a smile, and stepped into the elevator.

The little journey from the elevator to my office room was always a dreaded one. I don't know why but I always had this sense of unease fill me up.

And as usual, I felt the warmth seep out of my body. I felt my heart burry itself deep within me, my brain attuning itself to every single sound. My eyes sharpened, ready to keep an eye out for my surroundings. And this was my persona that came out in when I was at work.

When I arrived at my own office space, I sat in my chair and swirled it around. When I knew no one could see me, I exhaled deeply and closed my eyes.

Mentally, my to do list started to appear. I worked at it in my brain, seeing the steps of how I was going to complete each task. Just as my mind began to settle into work mode, images appeared in my head.

I felt my whole body move back in time. I was back in Nate's apartment but this time it was dark and our breathes were mingling together. As I closed my eyes and pressed my lips against Nate's, I could feel the heat rising between us. The kiss was passionate and intense, as if we were trying to convey everything, we felt for each other in that single moment. Nate's hands were tangled in my hair, pulling me closer as our tongues danced together. I could feel the rough stubble on his chin against my skin, and the warmth of his breath on my face. It was like we were completely lost in each other, completely consumed by the intensity of the moment.

I could feel my heart racing, my body responding to Nate's touch. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him even closer as the kiss deepened. I could feel the tension between us, the desire and need that seemed to be building with each passing moment.

I was overwhelmed by the emotions coursing through me - desire, love, and a deep sense of connection to Nate. I had never felt this way before, and it was both exhilarating and scary. But I knew that I didn't want the moment to end, that I wanted to stay lost in this kiss forever.

I couldn't help but wonder if this heated kiss was just a one-time thing, or if it was a glimpse into a future together. All I knew was that I wanted to feel this way again, to be lost in Nate's embrace and consumed by the intensity of this.

My eyes snapped open. My chest was rising and down and pressed my fingers to my lips. I could still feel it...

As I tried to compose myself and carry on with my day, I couldn't shake the feeling that this kiss had changed me in some way. There was a time and place to think about Nate. And it was not here.

What would he be doing anyways?

I wondered about his childhood, what his parents were like, what his hobbies and interests were. I wondered if he had any hidden talents, any dreams, or aspirations that he kept hidden from the world.

I wanted to know everything about him, every little detail that made him who he was. I wanted to understand him in a way that no one else did, to see the world through his eyes and experience all that he had experienced.

But at the same time, I knew that I couldn't just come right out and ask him all these things. Nate seemed like a person who was not willing to share much information – and that itself made me a bit wary. I had to chip at him tonight.

Would he turn up tonight?

I turned around in my chair and lifted my eyes. "What the fuck!" I nearly flew out of it as I noticed Shar standing in the doorway of my office. His usual boisterous persona was muted, and instead he watched me with strangely narrowed eyes, standing there with his arms crossed and a cold look in his eyes. A sense of unease floated in me as he watched me, his gaze fixed on me with an intensity that made me uncomfortable. I tried to greet him with a smile, but he didn't seem to respond, just continued to stare at me with those cold, unfeeling eyes.

"What the hell is going on with you and Nate?" he demanded, his voice laced with anger. "How do you even know him?"

I was taken aback by the sudden confrontation, and I struggled to find the right words. "Eh- Good morning first?"

"Answer me."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "No."

"Do you even know who he is?"

Not at all. "No."

"Don't lie to me, Ellie," Shar spat out, his eyes narrowed. "I know there's more to it than that. I saw the way you two were looking at each other, the way you were touching. You're hiding something from me."

I could feel my heart racing, my stomach turning as Shar confronted me. I knew I had to come clean, to tell him the truth about Nate and me. But I was terrified of what his reaction would be. He clearly seemed to know at, and he did not have a good reaction.

But since when did Shar ever have any say in who I interacted with.

"Don't even think about becoming my dad."

The insult knocked Shar back on his feet. "I am nothing like him."

"You sure sound like him. Suddenly interested in what I do in my only free time."

Shar glared at me. "He's bad fucking news."

"And how do you know?" I countered. What the hell was going on?

"He is Nathaniel Lewis. You'll find out soon enough."

I went back to yesterday when Nate appeared out of nowhere to tell me about my uncle. Was it really something he saw online? But then how the hell did he know we were related. Millions of people could be sharing the same surname

"Is he part of all of this?" I asked Shar softly.

"Maybe ask him that yourself."

I shook my head. "I don't want to converse with liars."

Shar turned to leave my office. "Then don't go to see him at night anymore."

How the fuck did he know that?