Chapter one

Elliot's Pov

I didn't have a lot going for me except for my grades. 6th form was supposed to be a little tougher on the syllabus, but I was having a more difficult time kicking around the football and keeping my breath steady. It was embarrassing because all I had to do was swing my foot and send the ball into the goal.

My father insisted on it, the football try-outs. He hoped that maybe it would push me into making more friends alongside the loud and boisterous Maude Foster.

Speaking of Maude, she sat on the bleachers right next to my father, screaming onto the field in what seemed like support.

"EYES! ON! THE! GOAL! YOU DIMWIT!" Her blonde pigtails bounced with each yell from behind her cupped hands. "Perhaps Elliot is due for an eye test, Mr Burton?"

My dad could only smile weakly. I felt a little embarrassed because I'd missed the goal twice. Everyone else got it on their first or second try. I glanced to my side where Bennett Harris and his boys stood, watching with taunting grins on their faces as they bet hands on my next goal, I believe.

It was then I decided that I didn't want to make the team, especially if Bennett was going to be on it. With that, my foot caught the ball hard, sending it soaring into the sky towards the crossbar. No one was watching, really. There was no anticipation of me scoring.

Except, I did score.

"Oh..." said Maude in surprise as my dad clapped beside her. A few others clapped as well, although reluctantly and unsurely. I felt my face go up in flames. I wasn't in elementary school anymore, and the attention only gave Bennett more leverage to make fun of me.

"Nice score, lil' Ellie!" Bennett yelled. "Would you want a participation certificate to take home?"

His friends burst out laughing, but I only rolled my eyes. That wasn't even funny.

"That's enough, boys," Coach Moore said. "Elliot, you may try out for the goalie position as well."

"Do I have to?"

Coach Moore gave me a pleading look and glanced at my dad. "Just get through today. I won't make you do anything you don't want, yeah? You know your old man's just worried."
I grunted softly and went along with the request, planting myself before the post. Coach blew his whistle and the try-outs continued. I did fairly well as a goalie, but it all went downhill when Bennett jogged around to kick the ball, running a hand through his chestnut hair.

I'm going to die, I thought.

His hazel eyes zeroed in on me with a smirk. "Tiring out, Ellie?"
"Wishing a little out loud, aren't we?"
Bennett harked. "Cute. I was actually concerned about you."

I didn't even see the ball as it shot like a bullet by my head, grazing my earlobe. My skin was on fire, and I wasn't sure if it was the ball or my own embarrassment. Either way, I was too stunned to speak. I didn't think Bennett was so skilled...

"How about now?" said Bennett, and I grabbed the ball to throw it at his head in annoyance. What a fucking menace.

Bennett's eyes widened as he dodged the ball narrowly, and everyone else around us erupted in shocked gasps or laughter.

"Strong arm there, Burton," Coach Moore said appreciatively. "Wish you had that in your legs. We'd have a good team."
"I'm done, Coach," I pleaded. "Can I please go now?"

With a pat on my head, he dismissed me and yelled at Bennett to play fair. I flipped him the bird and jogged off.

"You're full of surprises, aren't you?" Maude said as she tossed me a towel. "Was kind of hoping Bennett got hit. He's gotten cockier ever since puberty hit him."